PDA

View Full Version : Is the generic flea medicine any good?

scottishthistle
08-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I hate spending $79 every 3 months

amstermarie
08-10-2005, 01:39 PM
it very rarley works, and it is bad on the liver. you have to be especially careful w/ cats, some of them will kill a cat. and older and sickly dogs, and of corse puppies. this is what i do. frontline is sold in petstores now, and at feed stores. i went to the petstore and wrote down how much was in each vile. all the boxes have the same concentration, just the vial size is different. and i bought the largest size, for dog 100+ pounds, and i bought a suringe and i measured out for each animal. i have 4 cats, and 4 dogs. and it got me 2 treatments for each animal. i lost my little slip w/ the measurments, if i find it i will post it...

ranade3
08-12-2005, 08:05 PM
The generic medicine did absolutely nothing for the fleas and it was a waste of money. I will only use advantage and have not seen a flea in my house or on my pets for over 7 years.

melinda
08-17-2005, 12:20 PM
I use to use Advantage, but switched to the store stuff because I just couldn't afford it anymore. Since then the fleas around here have been getting pretty fat and happy no matter how much I try to keep the dogs clean and the house vaccuumed. I think that I will have to go back to the expensive stuff. :sad2

SouthPaw
08-25-2005, 10:25 PM
The only generic flea medicine I have used that actually works is BioSpot. It worked ok for my dogs, but not my cats. Like PP said, you can save a lot of $$$ just buying the biggest size & not applying as much. Also, we treat our yard for insects, so I only do flea medicine if we are traveling...that saves some money as well (unless you take your dog to the park frequently). Flea collars and sprays don't work IME, the spot-on AdvanTix is what I use & prefer....

Heather Micaela
08-26-2005, 12:45 AM
Generic flea medicine almost killed one of my cats. I had to take him to the vet. They washed him w/ dawn then kept him for observation. He ended up being fine but the vet said to me NEVER NEVER use the generic stuff

If you want to save $ on the flea medice just try stretching out the doses to 6 weeeks instead of every month. (Mark it on your claenday so as not to forget)