PDA

View Full Version : Newborn + toddler: is it safe?

MamaKanga
08-10-2005, 06:41 AM
We have a king sized bed, and though DS starts the night in his own bed, he always ends up with us. He is 3, and a WILD sleeper. He's all over the place, on top of us, turned sideways, etc. I really feel like it would be unsafe to have him in bed with our newborn. I was thinking if I put up a bed rail we could do it like bedrail->baby->me->DS->DH, but I'm still not sure. BTW, DS insists on being next to me, so moving him to one side is not an option.

Any thoughts?

The Tickle Momster
08-10-2005, 07:08 AM
That is exactly what we do, except that we have a sidecar crib instead of the bed rail. The rail works though. We usually end up baby, me, 4 y/o, 3 y/o, dh. I'll warn you, you'll be squished no matter what you do. I often end up so snuggled, I can only lay on my side & not move. :hearts Wouldn't change a thing though.

Mama Calidad
08-10-2005, 08:24 AM
That's how we slept when DS was little. DS, Me, DD, DH. :tu

2sunshines
08-10-2005, 08:28 AM
We put a toddler bed right next to our bed so that when the toddler wanted to sleep beside me, he could sleep in the toddler bed right beside me but still have the baby in our bed between me and dh like usual. The toddler bed is a little lower but I would just hold his hand or rub his back and he was okay with it.

Not sure if it would work for you and your dc, but just a suggestion as to something that worked for us.

IslandMama
08-11-2005, 06:51 PM
We have this arrangement... Crib next to king size bed (mostly for the siderail and holding diapers) newborn dd, me, dd, and dh. It works great so far! (It's only been a few day, btw!) But we've done this with all of our babies. I do put the baby in the crib after older dd goes to bed, then I slip in next to dh to snuggle for a while. Then we just move everyone back into their places, and sleep for the night, at least they all do! :tu

nutmeggmama
08-11-2005, 07:20 PM
i am a huge advocate of the sidecar arrangement. The crib with the side off, and the bed at the same level (or as close as possible)!