PDA

View Full Version : Help me continue to learn to sew--which of these patterns?

GodChick
08-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Okay, after getting so excited about the fact that "I'M SEEEEWWWWWWIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGG!!" I want to keep learning some more. (And I posted a picture of the wrap I made in the babywearing forum--I even ended up sewing on my allegedly no-sew wrap, because I wanted to hem the edges and make a little "mayawrap type" pocket in it. :mrgreen :tu :mrgreen

I want to make one of these skirts.

http://sew-whats-new.com/CMS/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=77&Itemid= (scroll down about 3/4 of page to "recommended patterns")

I know I like A-line skirts. I don't really understand 4-gore and 8-gore. . .I want a long, casual skirt that I can play with the kids in. It says the 8-gore is nice and full . . . but does it look like a tent? :shrug Which is easier to sew--A-line, 4-gore, or 8-gore (I know I don't want the straight skirt)? Can any of you sewing types make a recommendation for me? If you were just getting started sewing, and wanted a skirt you could crawl on the floor with your kids in, what would you pick? :hearts :cup :heart

OpalsMom
08-10-2005, 03:54 PM
A gore is a triangular thingummy. So a 4-gore skirt is made of 4 triangles, and an 8-gore skirt has 8 triangles. The triangles could be very pointy or very wide, so there's no guarantee that an 8-gore skirt is actually wider than a 4-gore, but it has more potential to be wide (and to be interestingly shaped). An 8-gore is twice as many seams, and twice as much error if you get them wrong. I'd go with a relatively full 4-gore for my first try. It'll have bigger pieces to cut, but less sewing.

GodChick
08-11-2005, 03:16 PM
good point! i'll hold off on anything 8 gore until i've gotten better! would trhe a-line be easier than the 4 gore, do you think?

OpalsMom
08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
A-lines are easier to sew, but harder to fit satisfactorily. Well, OK, I don't know what shape you are -- maybe you're shaped like a mannequin, in which case that's not an issue. I've looked like I was 3 months pregnant since about 10 years before I got pregnant, and fitting is an issue for me. If you worry about your stomach or your hips or your behind, I'd go with something fuller than an A-line. I have a straight skirt in my pattern stash for when I get really brave about my fitting skills; an A-line is slightly more forgiving but not much.