PDA

View Full Version : tickling

Can Dance
08-06-2005, 08:33 AM
so IL's are here. right now, they are out on a walk with DD, which is nice for me :)

anyway, last night we went to a restaurant and while we were in the care my MIL, starts tickling DD. I KNOW by her screams that she is NOT happy about this. this is NOT a happy scream. but I say nothing....I didn' t know what TO say and I was hoping she would figure it out. I don't know if she did, but she did stop...
I have no qualms telling DH when I can tell he has crossed the line with her, but my MIL? if my DH has a hard time, I can see how she would who only sees her once a year. I don't want to be rude, but I really don't know how to handle it. obviously, she can't express her boundaries yet, and I need to do that for her...
suggestions? ideas?
C

iplsmama
08-06-2005, 09:34 AM
If you don't want to be forceful, how about a game of saving you from Grandma...Like oh no the tickle monster getting you, come here I'll save you, pretend battle ensues over the "victim". We do this a lot in our house, of course it's all a big game but it might be a playful way to diffuse the situation and "rescue" your child :giggle

Dana Joy
08-06-2005, 09:41 AM
If you don't want to be forceful, how about a game of saving you from Grandma...Like oh no the tickle monster getting you, come here I'll save you, pretend battle ensues over the "victim". We do this a lot in our house, of course it's all a big game but it might be a playful way to diffuse the situation and "rescue" your child :giggle

:tu

jluvts
08-11-2005, 11:13 AM
We also playfully say "ok Grandma, thats enough" or "Grandma, I can't breathe" or my husband will say "oh thats a grumpy laugh". My mom is ultra sensitive sometimes and will get peeved at the dumbest things, but this has helped.

Can Dance
08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
thanks, I will keep that for next time. part of the problem was that she was in her car seat, can't help her much there :td
C