PDA

View Full Version : OK I need a rundown...

KatherineM
08-05-2005, 11:58 AM
I have never worn either of my children. I guess I always just carried them, but now with a 4 yr. old, a 2 yr. old and an 8 yr. old, I am thinking maybe with this baby, I should. BUT....I don't know much about it. What exactly are the pros/cons of baby wearing?

sarahtar
08-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Pros...
Two free hands, baby safe and snuggled close
Usually a pretty easy way to get baby to sleep
Easier on back and arms than carrying
Very soothing for babies
Two free hands
Lets you work, shop, tend to other children, clean, etc. even when child is clingy
No stroller required.
Two free hands
Worn babies cry less
Have I mentioned two free hands?
I've found that when Wally's getting out of hand (ex: when we're at a HMN meeting with about 12 other children and he just gets kind of frantically excited), putting him in the sling for a few minutes helps calm him down
Easy, discreete nursing once you get the hang of it

Cons...can't think of one.

Havilah
08-05-2005, 03:31 PM
The only con I can think of is back soreness, but that happens with or without a sling :shrug A carrier that uses both shoulders to support the weight of the baby helped me a lot once J was over 15 pounds or so. A waist belt ROCKS!

Beyond Blessed
08-05-2005, 03:37 PM
con - I've forgotten how to carry my baby without using a sling :shifty :giggle

pro - post vacs fussiness was wearing me thin and I really wanted to make a lovely dinner - so I slung her on my back and she slept

peacefully while I chopped away. :grin

We went to a theme park last week and I wore dd the *whole* time. I have degenerative disk disease and wearing her the whole time was *not* a problem. She did not fuss. Not once. And it was during a heat advisory (she learned to take sips from my water bottle, I was so worried about her overheating - but it all went so well!!)

Dd2 is my fourth dc and the first one I have slung. It has changed my outlook on the baby stage. I love this. I am not stressed - if she's fussy I just sling her. It is a miracle tool, I tell you!

tiglet
08-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I keep buying slings and carriers, because they're so wonderful. (Unfortunately, Bonnie has gone through several periods where she didn't like being in a sling, or liked a different kind [I have friends with lots of slings, too, so I can try them out] better...)

But, my main statement is getting lost. Wearing my baby is great. She relaxes, I relax, and I can *get stuff done* and still interact with her.

I'm all for waist belts, too.

Have you got a friend with slings you can borrow? If you're around my size, I have one that fits me + a newborn that I'd be happy to mail you. PM and let me know.

:)

KatherineM
08-06-2005, 12:40 AM
So do you suggest a sling, or like an ergo baby carrier. I was looking at the ergo, but then thought mayb get that for Lara, since she is only 2 and still able, my husband could wear her while I wear the baby. But, still, is a carrier easier to manage , or a sling

MomTo7
08-06-2005, 12:59 AM
So do you suggest a sling, or like an ergo baby carrier. I was looking at the ergo, but then thought mayb get that for Lara, since she is only 2 and still able, my husband could wear her while I wear the baby. But, still, is a carrier easier to manage , or a sling

Well I like the sling for the new tiny tots but after about 6 months I like the carrier. After about 18 months I like the sling again.
They key to great slinging for me was finding the right size and shape sling. I hated slinging for a year as it was not going well. Turns out my sling was just too big, I got a smaller one making babe and me mor esnug and it's been great since. Practice makes perfect!

KatherineM
08-06-2005, 01:10 AM
So how do you determine what size sling you need? and Which slings do you all recommend?

MomTo7
08-06-2005, 05:09 AM
So how do you determine what size sling you need? and Which slings do you all recommend?

Well I have a Moon Sling. I like it now that I know how to work with it. I hade order a sling elsewhere and they didn't ask what size I needed. That was the mistake. It was too big. I needed a smaller sling. It is much easier for me to work with.

http://www.babymoonslings.com/

If you look around you will find they have a size chart on the site. Just pick a "type" of sling and then look for a size chart. :)

mamma2allen
08-06-2005, 08:55 PM
I personally would look into two sholder wraps. Stretchy for a newborn and woven for as they get older. I found directions at mamatoto.org. I did not try the stretchy until DS was almost too big - 6 months and less than 15 lbs. We were in a wreck July 2 and with the back and neck soreness I carried DS in a wrap that I made out of fabric from wal-mart -$1.00/yd for a 2 mile parade with no problem. It did hurt to carry him in my arms though.
Only real con is my ars are much weaker than I would like.
HTH
Stephanie

Jenne
08-07-2005, 12:06 PM
LOL -- ITA with the con of my arms not being as strong as I would like. If I (heaven forbid) forget to take a carrier somewhere with me and I have to hold dd for long, I get so worn out! There's also the sling coveting... there's so many cool different carriers out there, and they all have a purpose, and then there's so many different styles and fabrics and... lol, my budget can't handle it! :)

I say go for a wrap, like Stephanie suggests, as they are hands down the most versitile, they will do any postion, and size kid... two shoulder, one shoulder... they really are incredible.

sarahtar
08-07-2005, 12:24 PM

The only slings that are really "sized" are pocket slings (aka pouch slings).

I highly recommend a wrap or a Mai Tie (aka Asian style). Both are two-shouldered and very versitle. You might check on the babywearer.com website or nino.com (or is it .org?) to see if there is a babywearing group in your town...this would allow you to try on lots of different types before deciding.

KatherineM
08-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, I showed my husband the different options, and he wants to get the Ergo. It has an infant insert and goes all the way to 4 years old. So, it looks like that will be the one simply because, at least my husband will use it.

Joesmomma
08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
I have to say, the sling is a saving grace for my son. I have free hands to play with him while having my daughter close at heart (literally), we can go for walks, play at the park. My arms don't get tired from carrying her, they do tend to get heavy after awhile. When they are new, it protects from others wanting a look, you will be surprised at how many people here have had no idea that I had a baby in my sling. What they thought I was carrying is beyond me. Extra warmth for you and baby in the winter. You can type at the computer, which is a rare thing these days. You can all sit down to dinner and eat at the same time and not have to take turns.
Therese