PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the fabric cutter (the round razor thingy)

JellyBeansSlingMom
08-04-2005, 10:43 PM
In case you didn't know those things are very sharp and this evening. I showed my daughter what NOT to do. I sliced off 1/4 of the tip diagonally of my index finger. I was cutting strips from some thick layers of poplin and then whosh it rolled off the fabric and over the side of my finger. I didn't even feel it really but soon realized something was wrong. (trying not to go into too many details) It was yucky. I had to go to ER and get a tetnus shot (whicxh hurts worse than finger at the moment) It will heal back and will prolly be kinda crooked but as the nurse said if she had to have a cut she'd rather it be like mine so its deep enough to not have any nerve ending to hurt. It aches a little but not much. Just a warning for all us that have been using them for a while. Watch out! So glad it wasn't much worse. But gosh I felt so embarrassed to go into the ER for what I did.

Marzipan
08-04-2005, 10:49 PM
*shudder* I hope it heals quickly. I chipped a tooth last week trying to adjust the tension in a window shade. :doh I was so terrified that I was going to have to go to the dentist and tell him what I did.

BeckaBlue
08-04-2005, 11:06 PM
OWWW!!!!

i think ill stick with my scissors for now......

glad your ok though!!!
dont feel too bad, ive brought my d's in to the er for a spot on her fingr that i thought *might* be a spider but (it was an infected blister :shrug) and a scratch on her tummy/side, worried that she mightve broken a rib :shrug i go by *better safe than sorry* but it's still embarrassing to go in there sometimes :O

Wonder Woman
08-05-2005, 04:35 AM
:hug2

tiglet
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
OUCH!!!

I'm a little obsessive about making sure I'm keeping my "free" hand totally on the ruler while cutting, because I'm afraid of doing this to myself!

Hope it heals uneventfully!

Irene
08-05-2005, 10:26 AM
OWIE!!! oh I hope its okay! my dh was hanging something in my sewing room one time, and one of my blades fell, and stuck into the floor, standing up, he got off the ladder and stepped right onto it, so it impaled the bottom of his foot!!! o man those things are dangerous!

I hardly ever use mine though, Im left handed and for some reason my brain and my body cant wrap itself around the whole idea of those things! I know other lefthanders do it ;) so its probably a lame excuse!

cannuke
08-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Ouch! Hope you heal up quickly! :hug

OWWW!!!!

i think ill stick with my scissors for now......

Me too!

Thia
08-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Hey, will it get you out of doing dishes for a while? Hope it heals well.

Abinsmom
08-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Oh, you're bringing back memories of an accident I had with an exacto knife cutting matte board for a shadow box. I didn't seek medical help, but probably should have -- I have a very ugly scar on the tip of my index finger!

And I also tried to open a bottle of aspirin with my teeth once and chipped a tooth! I ended up sucking up my pride and going to the dentist to have it fixed, but I was really embarrassed to tell him what I did. He's a very very nice guy (about my age, very cute, has kids about the age of mine), so it was like admitting to a friend I'd done something really dumb. Oy!

boonpnutsmom
08-08-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm so sorry. I know those rotary blades are really sharp, that's why they cut so well. :hug

JellyBeansSlingMom
08-08-2005, 11:57 AM
yeah and ya know its actually kinda dull right now. Thats why I was pressing down so hard. It could have been a LOT worse. Yep it did keep me from doing dishes since we do not have a working dishwasher (yeah) and a few really nasty diaper changes. Its almost better and I don't think my nail will grow crooked at all. That triple antibotic ointment is some good stuff. I thank God it wasn't any worse.