PDA

View Full Version : original ergo vs. new generation ergo

Atarah
08-03-2005, 04:25 PM
i really like the coral color of the original, and I've read the mfg. differences between the two.... http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/classic.html

i'm trying to decide whick to buy.... (but i better decide soon before all the originals sell out).

anyone familiar with both???? is the new version really worth the extra $23?
(original on sale for $69, new is $92)

Desert Rose
08-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Good question

:popcorn

Awaiting an answer with you!

DogwoodMama
08-04-2005, 09:21 AM
I've seen the new one, & it is really cute... but the fabric is too girly & dh is the one who wants it do I'm going for the old one.

Havilah
08-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I'm all about gender neutral backpacks!

I must say that I'm glad they are getting rid of the safety comfort belt. That thing is really irritating! My friends old Ergo doesn't have it, but my fairly new Ergo does. I'm about to whack it off and be done with it!

kris10s
08-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Yeah, I was super annoyed at how girly the hood fabric is and I want to see one in person to see if I could easily cover over it or replace it because I like the new ones better other than that and DH is probably going to use the Ergo more.

sarahtar
08-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I have worn them both.

As a skinny mama, I appreciate the greater sizing range allowed in the new Ergo. I put it on and finally understood why everyone liked the Ergo. (I hate my old generation Ergo because it's too big to be comfy.)

The fabric isn't that bad in person. I don't like "kiddie" prints on my carriers, but it's not so super bad.

The pocket in the new one is accessible via a side zipper, which is nice because it makes it actually usable.

The sleeping hood is much more adjustable and is actually a HOOD instead of just a flap of fabric. MUCH nicer and more functional than the old hood. My son's head kept just slipping out the sides of the old hood.

The buckles on the shoulder straps are meant to make it wearable in the hip carry, which I don't really care for, but they also make it easy to get off.

The big drawback to me with the new one, besides the fabric, is the adjuster tabs on the straps are NOT easily loosened. The old Ergo had a big round tab so that you could easily grab it and pull up to let the straps loosen. The new Ergo's adjuster tabs are much smaller and without that round place to grip. Frustrating for me, especially since I'm used to being able to easily adjust shoulder straps on backpacks, hydration packs, etc.