PDA

View Full Version : NO!

Can Dance
08-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I rarely use this word with DD. I would like her to actually LISTEN to me when I say this at some point, so generally I will say something else. part of this is that I practiced it with my dog when I was training him so he would listen. :giggle

well today, she got into the pantry for like the umteenth time. she mostly gets into the dog food. *sigh* I can't figure out how to lock this one, and its not an every day occurance or anything and usually I just redirect her, shoo her out of the kitchen to play somewhere else (which she gets mad about) and close the bag again. the bag is closed, I swear. Today she grabbed the chips instead, not her usual fare, and I took her away, put the chips away and said "bye bye" to the chips, that is the way she knows she doesn't get anymore..and I said NO, you need to stay out of the pantry. well she was none to pleased and threw a tantrum. fine, no big deal....but she said NO. her first time. wow. I can't believe my little dd said NO. kind of funny actually.

I know toddlers go through this stage and its essential for their differentiation from mommy, but I thought it would come later. not sure if this is here to stay or not..but I think its one of those milestone moments....

yes I know, I will figure out how to fix my pantry to set her up for success :D
C

MomToDM
08-02-2005, 08:15 PM
For us the "no" thing went away pretty quickly, but it didn't start until he was almost 2, lasted only a couple of weeks. It was his favorite word for those couple weeks... For our pantry (also a problem) we put a hook and eye latch on it, way up where he can't reach it, it has worked very well, but probably depends on the door and jam.

LadybugSam
08-03-2005, 11:41 AM
my son said the word no for the first time when he was 16 months old, it was his favorite words there for a good 2 months. It was actually really cute, he just liked saying it because it showed what he was thinking. He really liked having an opinion about things.

he liked it so much that he said it even when he wanted things. This one time he was trying to climb on dh's lap

do you want up caleb?
no
do you want me to help you?
no
do you want to do it yourself?
no
are you sure you don't need my help?
no
i can help you if you want me to?
no

all said while i was trying to climb up into the chair.

Most kids get over it pretty quickly :)