PDA

View Full Version : if you could recommend one sling. . .

Love_Is_Patient
08-02-2005, 08:54 AM
that would be good for a fairly small mom (5 ft. 2 and petite), living in hot weather, for a baby from about 6 months through toddlerhood?

I'm thinking about getting another one, but don't have budget to experiment and I generally can't return things (since it would have to be shipped overseas). So I need some suggestions. . .

SPKarenO
08-02-2005, 09:52 AM
My 2 cents...I love my maya wrap. But the fabic is kind of heavy, so you might think it was hot. I don't know what other mamas think about that.

Irene
08-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Maya wrap :tu I know they use them in guatamala and its pretty hot there right?

Wonder Woman
08-02-2005, 11:28 AM
or a simple WAHM unpadded ring sling :shrug

LoveToReadMommy
08-02-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm a newbie at babywearing, so I don't know if you want my advice, but I'll give my two cents anyway :grin

As a newbie, I found the ring sling pretty complicated. I got a kangarookorner solarveil adjustable pouch and fell in love with babywearing. (www.kangarookorner.com) The material is light and breathable also. It's easy in and out, off and on.

memory maker
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
www.hotslings.com

rachelmarie
08-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I second a hotsling! I've had mine for several months now and I LOVE it!

Jenne
08-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Hotslings are great, especially the light weight stretch sateen cotton. But, you have to get just the right size, and that can be tricky.

Let me recommend something really simple, and way within your budget. Head to the fabric store and find some cotton interlock (t-shirt material, but a bit different than jersey)--if you're not picky about color you can probably find it on clearance--or cotton gauze, again, you can probably find something on sale. Buy 4 to 5 yards and make your own wrap.

Wraps sound intimidating, but I think they are the best kept babywearing secret! I decided to try this myself just last week, because I had a need to do a front facing out carry, and my Mei Tai was just not as comfortable as I wanted for that kind of carry. First try I got my dd in and we were both very comfortable, and the next time, in a different carry, I nursed her discreetly and hands free--a babywearing first for us!

I cannot say enough about the wonderful world of wraps I have just discovered--and it is endlessly adjustable, so it will be there for you from now 'til your dc is no longer interested in being carried.

Check out Mamatoto.org (http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121) for more detailed information about wraps.

I don't sew, but there's no need to! Also on Mamatoto.org, there's instructions for a no-sew wrap (http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=176), which is what I used to make mine.

Julia R
08-06-2005, 12:44 AM
We have a mama right here on our boards who makes this type of sling. Click on the Lovely Mama banner that shows at the top of the page sometimes.

mamma2allen
08-06-2005, 08:58 PM
I second the wrap. :tu My favorite by far and it can be very cheap.
Stephanie