PDA

View Full Version : recipes for yellow summer squash?

blessedwithboys
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
We've got tons of yellow summer squash! This is great, but the problem is that I only know how to make it in really cheesy casserole (yummy but not good for us) or chopped on salad. Do you make it a different way?

TIA! :mrgreen

ArmsOfLove
08-01-2005, 09:08 PM
I love to just slice or cube it and saute it in olive oil with some sea salt and garlic :yum

Do the above but also add some sun dried tomatoes and some basil and some balsamic vinegar and serve it over pasta :rockon

blessedwithboys
08-01-2005, 09:15 PM
ooo- dh and I would both love it w/ tomatoes over pasta! :yum Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. I've gotta run to the store tomorrow anyway, so I'll get some twisty noodles.

mom2princesses
08-01-2005, 09:36 PM
I had some tonight :grin :yum
I dipped the slices in egg, then italian bread crumbs and 'fried' in olive oil. They were SO good.
You could also dip them in parm chz intstead of bread crumbs.
You could brush them with olive oil, put desired seasonings on, then bake.

MamatoBiz
08-01-2005, 09:53 PM
One of our favorite things to do with summer squash is to slice it about 1/8 inch thick and make lasagne with it-squash instead of noodles! We LOVE it. It tastes great and I like it because I find it really difficult to find whole-grain lasagne noodles. I bet that it would be a good thing for GF families too. In the summer we make it a whole lot, only with just a little cheese since we eat it so much.

poetmom
08-02-2005, 04:29 AM
Slice OR dice squash. I like to dice it into very small cubes because it cooks faster and I can fit more of it into the pan. Melt one stick of butter in a big skillet. Add a layer of sliced onions and then dump as much yellow squash into the skillet as will fit. Turn the heat onto med-high. Dice some garlic and sprinkle it on top of the cooking squash along with some coarse salt. Use a spatula to check the bottom layer until that layer begins to turn a golden or dark brown. Turn the squash and brown again. Keep turning and browning until, the whole batch is brown. While the last bit it browning, sprinkle half of a handful of brown sugar over the top. Turn so the brown sugar can carmelize. Pour 1/2 or 3/4 cup heavy cream over the top of the whole mess after the brown sugar is carmelized. Turn off heat and stir cream in well. This is a lovely way to use up a lot of squash and it is even better on the second day for breakfast.

blessedwithboys
08-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Yay! These sound soo yummy. Now I'm excited about having tons of squash! :popcorn (pretend the yellow popcorn is squash :))

lumpofclay
08-02-2005, 06:20 AM
We saute yellow squash (sliced), zucchini (sliced), diced onions, sliced red bell peppers, and mushrooms. Add salt and a seasoning (whatever you prefer. .. lemon pepper OR Mrs. Dash OR Greek seasoning, etc.) if you want, but it's good with just the salt. Here in the South, we saute it down till it's nice and soft. ;) It makes a great side dish. :tu

Thia
08-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Slice it up, throw on a piece of foil, add butter, seasonings, wrap the foil up and throw on the grill.

snlmama
08-02-2005, 06:50 AM
My fav. is sauted the way several described. My mom used to boil it w/ tomatoes and that's good too (and easy). I also like it steamed. you can slice it and do this in the microwave. Put a little water in the bottom of the bowl, put some spices on top and microwave for 3 min. or so. I also eat it dipped in ranch dressing raw.
And, if you have a lot, you can sneak it into almost any other dish - grate it really fine and cook it along w/ the food. Adds a lot of bulk, fiber and vitamins. I've done this in spaghetti, burgers, any kind of casserole.

Mother of Sons
08-02-2005, 07:39 AM
I dipped the slices in egg, then italian bread crumbs and 'fried' in olive oil. They were SO good.

That's how I usually do it. It is sooo good. The kids love it too. Anyways, another thing I have done is to dice squash (small), potatoes, carrots, onions, green peppers etc. I can't remember if I sautee'd any of it briefly (I think I did, but not for long) then I put it all in a bowl and put it in the oven with a tiny bit more oil, salt and pepper etc. till it was all tender. Yummy.

eoconnel
08-02-2005, 07:43 AM
We do we call "squished squash" We slice it and boil it with some onion and when it is fork tender mash it up and add butter and onions. YUMMY!

Cherish
08-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Stuffed Summer Squash

Summer squash
Yellow cheese -- diced fine
milk
Salt
Bread crumbs -- fine
Butter
black pepper

Depending on size of squash, allow 1/2 per person. Parboil whole squash in
salted water until tender. Remove, slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out center
of squash and place in bowl an equal amount of finely diced yellow cheese. Add
a little cream or milk, salt & pepper lightly, and return to squash shell.
Top with fine bread crumbs, dot with butter, and bake until cheese is melted.

Abinsmom
08-02-2005, 03:48 PM
For a lower fat/calorie version, try this recipe for zucchini, but replace the zucc with your yellow squash:

Zucchini Oven Chips

1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 61(28% from fat); FAT 1.9g (sat 1g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 3.8g; CHOLESTEROL 5mg; CALCIUM 87mg; SODIUM 231mg; FIBER 1g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.6g

Linda Oldenburg
Cooking Light, AUGUST 2005