PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with my homemade vanilla

ArmsOfLove
07-31-2005, 11:26 AM
:tu I'm so glad we had that thread in IF and I learned how to make vanilla! There's still a bit of vodka flavor when I use it in stuff that isn't cooked :shifty (dh asked if that's why he liked the whipped topping better this time :grin) but it's really good! Works great :D

Mothering by Heart
07-31-2005, 11:27 AM
I need to do this. How many vanilla beans did you put with how much vodka?

ArmsOfLove
07-31-2005, 11:29 AM
I believe the recipe called for 1 vanilla bean per pint of vodka so I did 4 beans in a gallon. You just leave it for 2 weeks and shake it each day. Trader Joe's had the best price for beans (less than $4 for two beans) but they are supposedly a seasonal thing and we're not sure why this particular store had so many in stock :shrug (not that we're complaining :giggle)

Mothering by Heart
07-31-2005, 11:31 AM
Wow, that is a good price on beans. I have seen them for $15.00 a bean. I haven't seen them at our TJ's I will have to ask.

And IF? Who knew? :giggle

Punkie
07-31-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm glad you liked my recipe :tu My family really loves it :grin

I bought a little bottle with a cork top at Michael's craft store and bought the beans at Wild Oats. They're in with the other seasonings. I just filled the jar to the top and everytime I use it, I refill it with however much rum I've poured out :)

You can also buy these things called "perpetual vanilla kits" that have the beans and the corked bottle. I think my mom bought hers at Williams-Sonoma.

ArmsOfLove
07-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Well I just threw my beans into the big Costco size gallon of Vodka :giggle

Punkie
07-31-2005, 01:46 PM
:giggle

That works too!

It'll be really vanilla-y by the end!!! :grin

ArmsOfLove
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh I'm very glad :) :) :)

Punkie
07-31-2005, 01:59 PM
The longer it sits, the better it gets! Mine is nice and dark now :D

ArmsOfLove
07-31-2005, 02:04 PM
You know, I didn't know if it would do that but I dreamed it would so I wasn't surprised when it started turning brown :grin

TulipMama
07-31-2005, 02:33 PM
So. . . vodka or rum? Which works best?

(Vodka was soooo cheap in Ukraine! I miss that! *L*)

My sister has made her own amaretto for cooking/desserts--but I don't know how. When we were in Ukraine I didn't have any vanilla, so I used amaretto whenever recipes called for vanilla. Yum.

Mothering by Heart
07-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Homemade Amaretto (http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingwithalcohol/r/blalcohol9.htm)

ArmsOfLove
07-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Wow--that looks easy :think Something I was reading or saw talked about making different extracts so I'm thinking you could use vodka and add mint for mint extract, and other things for other extracts--apparently vodka is the base for Schnapps too :eek

Irene
07-31-2005, 06:21 PM
I thought vodka had gluten in it :think

TulipMama
08-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Fwiw. . . Even though amaretto tastes almondy (and is used as an almond flavoring) it was originally made from apricot pits.

I used vodka a lot in Ukraine for making various preserves and for aromatherapy spritzers and such.

Mothering by Heart
08-03-2005, 07:10 PM
I just bought 10 vanilla beans on Ebay for $9.00!! What a deal :tu I was referred to the seller so I am confident they will be a good product.

ArmsOfLove
08-03-2005, 07:24 PM
I just bought 10 vanilla beans on Ebay for $9.00!! What a deal :tu I was referred to the seller so I am confident they will be a good product.
:wow that is a great deal!

Mothering by Heart
08-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I called our TJ's and they said they only carry the beans seasonally. I was resigned to buying online, so I checked out Ebay. Glad I did!

cklewis
08-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I think Crystal got potato vodka so no gluten. :shrug I think I remember that she said that. :think

C

ArmsOfLove
08-03-2005, 07:41 PM
I got corn (couldn't find the vodka without looking around) but no gluten :) (some kinds do, tho)

Mothering by Heart
08-08-2005, 05:03 PM
I got my beans today :tu They smell wonderful, heavenly. Going to plop them in my Vodka right now! :grin

Mother of Sons
08-08-2005, 06:35 PM
I started mine a few days ago. I went to a natural food store that my mom knew about and they had them for 3.29 each. I didn't think they smelled good though. Anyhoo, I got 6 beans. I put some of the vodka in an orangina bottle with 1 bean (that's for me) and then I put the other five beans in the bottle of vodka. It gets darker and darker every day. :)

Mothering by Heart
08-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Guess what all my neighbors are getting for Christmas this year? :giggle I found a site with great prices on amber bottles. It should be good and vanilla-y by then :grin

Punkie
08-09-2005, 06:52 AM
That's a great idea!

ArmsOfLove
08-09-2005, 10:02 AM
that's been my plan :tu

I'm going to Cost Plus to find jars that match their kitchens :grin

Mothering by Heart
08-09-2005, 10:22 AM
that's been my plan :tu

I'm going to Cost Plus to find jars that match their kitchens :grin

How cool! :tu

Katigre
08-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I got corn (couldn't find the vodka without looking around) but no gluten :) (some kinds do, tho)
I keep seeing magazine ads for vodka distilled from grapes and was thinking of you guys with your gf diets. Would that work too?

http://www.ciroc.com/ciroc_heritage/

Mother of Sons
08-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm giving it as gifts too. I have a set of spices that came in round glass bottles (the shape of Christmas tree bulbs) I'm emptying the spices and putting the vanilla in there. I'm also making vanilla sugar so the gift will be - vanilla extract, vanilla sugar, muffin mix in a muslin bag and then a tag that gives instructions on how much vanilla and other ingredients to add to the mix, then after baking, brush with butter and dip in vanilla sugar.

Mothering by Heart
08-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm giving it as gifts too. I have a set of spices that came in round glass bottles (the shape of Christmas tree bulbs) I'm emptying the spices and putting the vanilla in there. I'm also making vanilla sugar so the gift will be - vanilla extract, vanilla sugar, muffin mix in a muslin bag and then a tag that gives instructions on how much vanilla and other ingredients to add to the mix, then after baking, brush with butter and dip in vanilla sugar.

I am loving this thread more and more. :heart How fun :tu

Irene
08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
YUMMY! how do you make vanilla sugar? or did I miss it somewhere?

Mother of Sons
08-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Vanilla sugar is basically the same process as for vanilla extract. Just stick a bean in the sugar and wait. I've read some places that say to put both through the food processor but I don't have one.

ArmsOfLove
08-09-2005, 09:00 PM
I keep seeing magazine ads for vodka distilled from grapes and was thinking of you guys with your gf diets. Would that work too?

http://www.ciroc.com/ciroc_heritage/
That looks yummy! Yes, that would work :tu