PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with addresses in Outlook?

Irene
07-30-2005, 04:45 PM
ok I have been sitting here for I dont know how long ready to throw my computer out the window (again :rolleyes ). I always think okay, dh has the kids outside Im gonna work quietly for a bit on some projects but it ends up me getting so frustrated and not actually getting any work done at all :hissyfit

It was supposed to be so easy!!! :hissyfit

okay anyway, I have all these addresses in outlook express because it was just always the easy place to put them :shrug so now Im trying to print out mailing labels and organise them but I CANT!!! what in the world?! :banghead

I tried importing them into my word perfect but that didnt work. I even tried starting all over again with a new address book in word perfect and merging and all that but I cant even seem to know how to do that! I know I did it all on my old computer, but I have since apparently lost all my brain cells that were able to figure this computer stuff out. :/ it shouldnt be this hard :td

Abinsmom
07-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Will Outlook Express print address labels for you instead of having to merge them into a WordPerfect document? Sorry, this is just my initial guess. It's been years since I've used WP (I use Word), and although I use Outlook Express, I've never used the address label feature, if there is one.

Let me poke around a little more and see what I can come up with.

Also, have you done a google on the internet for what you want? I've done that and many times have come up with some discussion on exactly my problem. Try Outlook Express address labels in Wordperfect, or any other combination of words describing what you're looking for, then look at message boards, anything that might be exactly what you need. You're probably not the first person who's had this problem!

Irene
07-30-2005, 05:42 PM
ah good idea I didnt even think of googling it :blush

I have tried printing just through outlook but it just prints lines of addresses :/

Abinsmom
07-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Okay, this is what I've found so far. It sounds like you may need to export your address book from Outlook Express to a file type that can be used by Wordperfect. OE can only export as .txt or .csv, so if WP can't use either of these file types, you've got to find another workaround. Anyway, I found this information on exporting your address book from Outlook Express at:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191264

To export the Address Book as a text file from Outlook Express, follow these steps:

1. Start Outlook Express.
2. On the File menu, point to Export, and then click Address Book.
3. In the Address Book Export Tool dialog box, click Text File (Comma Separated Values) and then click Export.
4. In the "Save exported file as" box, type in a file name for your exported Address Book file, and then click Browse.
5. Save your file.

By default, Outlook Express will save the file to your desktop. You may want to save the file to the My Documents folder or to a different folder or drive.

NOTE: You can save your Outlook Express Address Book in one of two formats: Comma Separated Values (*.csv) or Text Files (*.txt). Word will be able to use either format.
6. Click Next.
7. Click to select the fields that you want to export as part of your data source, and then click Finish.

NOTE: All of the fields in the Outlook Express Address Book can be exported, except for Gender, Conferencing Email, and Directory Servers.
8. When Outlook Express has completed exporting your address book, the following message will be displayed:
Address book export has completed successfully.
Click OK.
9. Click Close to close the Address Book Export Tool dialog box.

Irene
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
thanks Karen for helping :) I did get it exported but it will only save it in Excel :td so I still cant do anything with it.... ugh!!! why does it have to be this hard? my arms start hurting and I get so sick to my stomach when I try to do this computer stuff.. how lame am I? Well, I wrote all these addys out by hand, what a PITB!!!!

Abinsmom
08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Okay, so you don't have Excel, right? I do, and may be able to convert the file to something Wordperfect can understand. OR, the better choice is to find you a resource to install Word on your computer. Which would you prefer?

Irene
08-01-2005, 06:21 PM
well i have excel and I can read it, but again, its just all in dumb little boxes that doesnt do me any good, even when i print it out it doesnt print it all and just all in a big line. Im sorry Im so dumb about this, but all I want to do is print labels for crying out loud. maybe I will install word, but I dont think I will still be able to get it from outlook.

I could try to send it to you :shrug you can pm me or something I guess :)

Abinsmom
08-02-2005, 08:16 AM
I would definitely encourage you to install Word -- I'm thinking you might better be able to get the results you want using it. Word and Outlook are designed to work together so my guess is there's gotta be a way!!!!

I've also emailed another friend of mine to see if she has any suggestions. Stay tuned!

ETA -- my friend said to try to way to import the list from Excel into Wordperfect and to seek that option. Sorry I'm not more help!

Irene
08-02-2005, 11:57 AM
well I am looking around and office suite is 400 dollars :eek and just Word is almost 200 :eek o well. but now I know why I could do it on my old computer because I had office suite.

Abinsmom
08-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Where do you live? Do you know anyone who works for MSFT? They can get it for you at cost. I think I bought my latest office suite for under $100. Or look on Ebay!

Irene
08-02-2005, 12:11 PM
my BIL used to work for Microsoft, but moved on :) shoot! :lol I will look on ebay :) thanks :)

Abinsmom
08-02-2005, 01:12 PM
I'll bet your BIL still knows someone there that can get s/w at cost -- it's worth a try!