PDA

View Full Version : knitting or crocheting

Ali
07-30-2005, 12:58 PM
IYO, which is easier? Can you recommend a good book for a beginner? Thank you!

Punkie
07-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Hmm, I learned to crochet first, so that seemed easier to me, but knitting is pretty easy to pick up too. It really just depends on what kind of projects you want to do. What do you have in mind?

Ali
07-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm mostly thinking of baby blankets, but would like to do hats and scarves, maybe little baby sweaters (eventually).

Punkie
07-30-2005, 01:31 PM
For baby blankets, I really to crochet, but for sweaters I like to knit. You can do hats and scarves with either one.

That really didn't help, huh?

JavaMama
07-30-2005, 10:02 PM
I personally prefer knitting. For some reason, crochet is harder for me... and it makes my wrist ache.

For learning to knit, I recommend Stitch N' B-tch by Debbie Stoller. The illustrations were easier for me to see and learn than other books I tried. :)

PS- lots of adorable knitting patterns for sweaters, hats, soakers etc at http://www.littleturtleknits.com, a Christian WAHM ! :)

scottishthistle
08-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I find crochet easier. if you make a mistake it's easier with crochet to go back and fix it imho and that is very useful when you are a beginner.

kris10s
08-01-2005, 08:49 AM
I like knitting better: I think it's easier and looks nicer. :shrug

MidnightCafe
08-09-2005, 04:03 PM
I just started knitting on Friday. I learned to crochet a long time ago. For me, crocheting was a lot easier to learn. I've had to spend a lot more time with knitting to even figure out how to do a stitch.

JavaMama
08-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Oh... for those who are having a bit of trouble learning the stitches, I think the illustrations in Stitch & B!tch are some of the best that I've seen. I learned using The Idiot's Guide... and I was doing some things wrong and just had trouble understanding the illustrations. Of course, YMMV. :)

bostonsmama
08-09-2005, 08:41 PM
i can crochet, i cannot knit....well, i can, but barely! so, to me, crocheting is easier! but, i agree w/kristen that knitting looks a little nicer, depending on what youre doing!

as far as the stitch n' b thing goes, i have heard a lot of good things about "that" but i dont think i want anything laying around the house with that word on it. why did they name it that? i think it would be embarrassing to talk about to someone irl. kwim?

JavaMama
08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
as far as the stitch n' b thing goes, i have heard a lot of good things about "that" but i dont think i want anything laying around the house with that word on it. why did they name it that? i think it would be embarrassing to talk about to someone irl. kwim?

You could knit a cover for the book! :lol Just teasing... It doesn't bother me really, but I see and hear worse just renting a movie nowadays. :blush

I was actually surprised my library added it to their collection, but then again even my small town library carries all sorts of "alternative" type materials now.

Lisa
08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
I love to knit... but I'm just learning too. I HATE to crocet! Words don't even describe it. I just hate is so so very much. Knitting just seems way easier and less complicated for me.

amyhinct
08-16-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm a knitter who can crochet, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much. I think that knitting is far more versatile, personally.
I'd recommend either the Debbie Stoller book (seconding someone's recommendation to knit a book cover, LOL) or 'The Knit Stitch" by Sally Melville. Both are quite helpful. You can also find resources on www.diynet.com under the show "Knitty Gritty".
Do you have any local yarn stores nearby? Most stores around here have intro classes or have people on staff to show you basics and steer you toward beginner resources.

mo
08-18-2005, 06:13 PM
I can do both, but I prefer to crochet! I think because I learned how to do that first! It seems easier for me!