PDA

View Full Version : Kid tested and approved bread?

Zoesmama
07-29-2005, 12:35 AM
I find that dd will not eat bread lately. We normally got wheat cheapie bread and she ate it okay. Now we are buying Roman Meal multigrain as that is what I like and my family(that we are temporarily living) like. She won't eat it usually. And not the crust. AHHH I guess that is a normal kid reaction though.

I'm finding it hard geting fat into her diet. I want her to learn to eat healthy foods and when I look at the fat in the foods I feed most are VERY low or zero fat. :doh :shrug Anyway I thought maybe a good kid approved bread might help.

Punkie
07-29-2005, 06:48 PM
What if you make your own bread? I make my own bagels, and the kids go nuts! I also make a lot of breads with veggies in them (carrot bread, pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, etc), since that's the only way ds will eat veggies :P

milkmommy
07-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Personally I won buy roman meal its colored white bread with overly proccessed "wheat flour" First I'd look for a bread with at least 3 grams of fiber per serving. Bread is a starch starch turns to sugar a higher fiber helps counter the sugar effect. I perfer to make our bread we sometimes get the sara lee healthy heart line and DD eats it up. I like 9 and 7 grain breads but DD doesn't like the bugs as she calls it :giggle

Deanna

Zoesmama
07-30-2005, 02:04 AM
I bought some sara lee before and it didn't have much fiber either. So must have had wrong one.

I know that a lot of even wheat and whole wheat breads get by with false statements. I didn't think Roman Meal was one. I like the bread but there is a brand I like better that MIL buys its got the chunks still in it good stuff.

We had a breadmaker and I often made my own and she LOVED it but we had to throw it out no room for it in our upcoming move. :cry I so want another when we get settled again. :) I can always bake in oven though.

GrowingInGrace
08-02-2005, 02:34 PM
homemade! I can barely keep a loaf around long enough for an actual meal.. and I make it regularly!

mix half whole wheat, half unbleached white (ie white winter wheat, not red winter wheat) and add a little vital wheat gluten. Use honey instead of sugar and olive oil. yeast, salt and water are all the rest you need. Let me know if you need a recipe?

very easy to make (can make large batches and freeze..) and SO good to eat!

abbiroads
08-16-2005, 11:12 PM
i would love to see a recipe