PDA

View Full Version : VERY chocolate cake icing

believer
07-26-2005, 06:11 PM
A friend of mine makes delicious chocolate birthday cake and the frosting is terrific. So, I asked her how to make it and did it today. I used a boxed yellow cake mix and did it in a rectangular pan - I am no good at two layer round cakes - always lopsided. So, the frosting made apparantly too much- and I put it all on - it is very rich - it is like a chocolate bar on top of cake. For the frosting you get 1/2 pint of heavy cream, heat it to just barely boiling and then put in one large bag of milk chocolate chips and a small bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Stir it to melt it, let it cool a little, pour it on and refrigerate. :cookie I did it because it is dh's b-day today :hb2 yum!

Iansmama
07-26-2005, 06:41 PM
:yum :yum :yum

MamaKanga
07-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Can you mail me a piece? Sounds soooooooooo good!! :mrgreen

RealLifeMama
07-26-2005, 07:16 PM
That is ganache, and it is my favorite!!
I have never made it with milk chocolate, too. Man, that is a lot of chocolate in that, esp with only 1/2 cup of cream- I am drooling, literally, here!!!!!!
I bet I'd love it with some coffee in it, too.
:yum

For the lopsided layer cakes, you need to level the cake while it is still in your pan, then you will have a flat surface to use as your base. Use 3 cups batter in an 8 inch pan and 5 1/2 in a 9 inch pan and your cakes will be thick enough, even with cutting.

azgirls
07-26-2005, 07:37 PM
that is so not on my diet plan, but man does it sound WONDERFUL! :P~ :P~