PDA

View Full Version : Packaged GFCF foods

JJsMom
07-26-2005, 12:21 PM
We are taking about a three week camping trip in just over a month and I am going to need to pack a ton of snacks. I was considering getting this:
http://www.gfcfdiet.com/YummiSnackPak.htm
But it's $80, I'm not sure if it's worth it. :shrug I could order some things from the Gluten free mall or something, but I'm not even sure where to start. Anyone have any suggestions for good or bad packaged snacks?

Irene
07-26-2005, 12:37 PM
hmmmmm I dont know what I would do. 3 weeks? is it tent camping or do you have a camper with a fridge? I would probably try to make as much stuff as possible (I know it so hard, but it would be cheaper) I also saw at costco this weekend things like fruit snacks and stuff that didnt have any food dyes or anything in them, we didnt get them because they had too many fruits dd couldnt have, but they looked yummy!
then maybe you can get some bags of gf pretzels and crackers for something different. and M

JJsMom
07-26-2005, 05:45 PM
We do have a fridge in our tent camper, but we will probably be using a cooler more. I was just hoping for variety to keep us all happy on a long trip! I like the Envirokids rice bars and the gingercookies are good, but I haven't tried much else. I'm still new at making stuff and things won't last the whole trip and I won't be able to bake. Anything that you've tried and liked or didn't like?
Thanks! :-)

ArmsOfLove
07-27-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm not as thrilled with stuff that's prepackaged :shrug I'd put together your own box of goodies if I were you :tu

amstermarie
07-27-2005, 08:59 AM
i have never seen the Tings Cheese Puffs, that looks like someting my son would love... but i did an internet search and found nothing :cry most of the other products i reconize... i bet you could go pick the stuff up yourself cheaper though...

JJsMom
07-27-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm not as thrilled with stuff that's prepackaged :shrug I'd put together your own box of goodies if I were you :tu

I'm not either, generally, but I'm not sure how we would be able to travel for three weeks without eating prepacked snacks. :shrug I know I would be able to make some stuff that could last the first couple days, but then what? GF stuff doesn't stay fresh very long. My ds is kind of a snacker and I do make stuff for him at home, but I'm just not sure how do go about this on the road.
I think part of it, too, is that I used to love traveling because I loved eating at fast food places :blush and having yummy car snacks, so I want to try to have a few "special" things, yk?

Irene
07-27-2005, 04:25 PM
okay Ive been thinking about this today ;) didnt come up with anything brilliant though :giggle

I understand about needing variety- no one in my family likes to eat the same thing every day either, especially while travelling.

I guess I was thinking you can make up some different kinds of cookies and put them in ziplocs and freeze them, that way you can take out on bag a day, and also some fruit snacks, and whatever. you can maybe buy a bigger bag of gf pretzels, and the envirokids bars.

that way you would have somewhat of a variety :shrug also, maybe you can make some goods, eat those the first week, then eat more packaged things and fruits and veggies the second and third week. are you going to be running across any stores in your travels? cuz then maybe you can pick up some gf cookies and fruit or something in between. oh, envirokids also have some animal cookies that the kids love too, that we bag up too. maybe a couple boxes of those. I think even if you buy stuff yourself in the store it will be cheaper in the long run than the kit. tortilla chips, different colors ;) that way you arent eating the same color every day either :giggle works for my dd!

also, cereal, they have the panda puffs, corn flakes, etc that my kids will eat dry, or we will bring rice milk for on special occasions.

muffins usually dry out pretty quickly, but sometimes I microwave them and put some earth balance on and they are revived- dont know if thats an option though while camping ;) roast em over the fire? :laughtears

I know I have come across recipes for things that last awhile in airtight containers, I will have to look around some.