PDA

View Full Version : My computer won't work! Help!

kris10s
07-26-2005, 06:53 AM
My desktop is a mess. While we were on vacation early in the month, DH was home and using it and the firewall was down and we got Aurora somehow. The worst spyware ever. I know that it can be deleted, but I haven't had the time and energy to deal with it, we've been so busy since we got back. Today when I woke up everything was frozen so I restarted the computer. It took me to the screen where it says my computer seems to have a software or hardware change should it restart in one of the three safe modes, revert to the last good configuration or start normally. I've tried all the options multiple times and nothing works! :hissyfit Any suggestions?

Best Buy has had our laptop off and on for over a month. We finally got a loaner, which I am using right now, but ours should be fixed soon and DH will be using that every day for school, so I really need the desktop to function...

Punkie
07-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, how badly do you need the info that's on there. Can you afford to start from scratch? If you can get on in safe mode or even in the command line and copy the files that you really have to have, then it might be worth it to start over...

kris10s
07-26-2005, 07:47 AM
It won't start in any safe mode... including command line.

I have some of our digital pictures backed up, but not all. I tended to be better to back things up on the laptop than CD (easy to just copy with networking) but that got reformatted. :( All of the ones I like are uploaded, but most are not good enough quality to print.

I might have to take it to the stinkin' geek squad just to get my pictures.

Punkie
07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Even if it won't go into windows by command line, you may be able to manually copy the files through the command line, but that might be too much of a pain for you... :(