PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas

Iansmama
07-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I need some ideas for us....I am looking for ideas for higher protien foods and snacks. We want to cut out meat, but we are already so restricted. Our food cannot have:

Dairy (Casein or Whey)
Soy
Wheat
Nuts (Tree or Peanut)
Eggs

We already eat a lot of rice products - bread and milk. We also use beans and grains like quinoa and oats which supply some protien. Is there something else out there that I am missing that would pack a protien punch?

TIA!

GrowingInGrace
07-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Olives
avocadoes (avocado and gluten-free bread sandwiches?)
aramanth
teff (VERY good grain, can be purchased at http://www.teffco.com - I have, they're good)
chick peas (garbanzo beans)
lentils
peas
flax and sesame seeds
tahini
sunflower seeds
bananas and plantains

Iansmama
07-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks! Avocados are out for us, too...ugh...he is allergic to so many things. I am not familiar with teff, but it looks really interesting (thanks for the link), and I am going to have to look into that one. We do like flax and bananas here. We haven't tried sesame and sunflower seed yet (I am still nervous introducing some new foods - and I just need to get beyond that!) but I hope that they will be able to become a part of his diet!

Thanks for the ideas! :mrgreen

GrowingInGrace
07-26-2005, 01:04 PM
YW! We're currently trying to eat w/o meat analogs due to excitotoxins so going through much of the same (though we CAN eat nuts, soy and peanuts, so that helps).

I thought of another for you last night, bean sprouts! Well, any sprouts really. All are very high in protein.

Now that I think of it, seaweed and blue-green algae are too. :)

edited: oh yea, forgot about pumpkin/squash seeds! Very high in protein AND calcium!

abbiroads
08-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Jenn, I think of making our diet similar to yours. Ds has reacted to several things and I am going to try to remove them completely from both of our diets (he's nursing). Our diet will exclude:
dairy
soy
eggs
nuts
I'm not necessarily opposed to meat, but I would like to keep it to a minimum. Do you have any ideas on how to make this transition. It seems like you have learned a lot already.

Chris3jam
08-15-2005, 01:31 PM
What about beans? Red beans and rice, bean salads, bean cakes (yes, I've made them), and I've made stuff out of bean flours (added to other flours). Lentils and dried peas. I see a bunch of other stuff has been posted . . . .

ShangriLewis
08-15-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm wondering if this book might help?

http://www.vegsource.com/jo/books/allergies.htm