PDA

View Full Version : I am frustrated with his new sleeping habit.....

garrettsmommy
07-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Main question in all this...How do you transition from lying down with them to them lying down by themselves to fall asleep.

He has gone from taking 20 minutes to fall asleep to taking an hour (last night an hour and a half) to fall asleep. It's very frustrating. Most of the time I end up falling asleep with ds while waiting for him to fall asleep which leaves poor dh out in the cold with no time for us. He has this thing (since 1 yr old) where he rubs my eyebrows anytime he's tired or while he's falling asleep. After an hour of him flipping around crushing my nose and hurting my eyeballs while trying to rub my eyebrows while falling asleep I just couldn't take it anymore. I sat up on the bed and said "no more eyes, I'll hold your hand". He actually did pretty well with this. I think I'm going to continue with the no eyes, only hand thing. I'm wanting to try to get him to falling asleep by himself. I understand it will be a long process but I have to start sometime, right? Most of all, I feel ready. I feel like it's time.

I know he can do it by himself. He does it at day-care and one Saturday a few weeks ago he was with his grandma and she said she layed him down and he got up twice but she just took him back and he fell asleep by himself.

DogwoodMama
07-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Maybe it would be helpful to start a new night-time routine or get your dh more involved? He is 2, right? I assume you give him lots of sleep cues & tell him how to relax (like Crystal's, stop your body, stop your mouth, close your eyes, relax and let sleep come?)

I will be where you are before long, I'm very interested to hear responses... I found some good idea's I'm going to try in a few months in Elizabeth Pantley's new no-cry book for toddlers also...