PDA

View Full Version : Awesome product for those of us with small dc who live in the heat!

Desert Rose
07-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Sick of putting your dc in a hot carseat? I would so love one of these. :tu They look so neat!

http://www.azcentral.com/families/articles/0330cr-coldseatZ6.html

The above link is to an article, the one below is to the product webpage, in case the article expires...

http://www.coldseat.com/ (http://www.coldseat.com/)

A little pricey for me...but am considering buying one.

Heather Micaela
07-18-2005, 12:25 AM
what a cool idea! (pun intended)

SunnyMeee
07-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks for mentioning this. She has a great idea! It's a bit pricey for me, too. It gets soooo hot here and a towel over the carseat still leaves the plastic and metal parts hot.

Hmmm...I could make a large homemade ice pack (recipe below) that I could lay against my daughter's seat. The gallon size ziploc should reach all the plastic and metal parts of the carseat. If I put a small styrofoam ice chest in the car, I could store the ice pack in there when we're driving from place to place. I don't have a sewing machine, but I could buy some flannel and hand sew a sack for the ice pack. :think

HERE'S HOW TO DO IT: Place a 1-gallon plastic freezer bag inside another one. Write "Poison" on the outside of the bag. Then pour 3 cups of water and 1 cup of rubbing alcohol into the inner bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal the bags. Place flat in the freezer. After several hours the mixture will become slushy, but the alcohol will keep the water from freezing completely and the bag will stay pliable and easy to position on the carseat (or the body). You can add a few drops of food coloring to the water/alcohol mixture for added color. These can be used over and over again. I will probably seal the opening and corners of the inner and outer bags with packing tape just in case.

I read that you can substitute vodka for the rubbing alcohol as it would be less poisonous to a child than rubbing alcohol if they happen to get some in the mouth...that's just what I read.

If you use this for an ice pack, keep a towel between the ice pack and the skin as your skin can be damaged from prolonged, unprotected contact with an ice bag.

LadybugSam
07-23-2005, 01:53 PM
thats a great idea! I was just complaining about that today, its 105 today and that seat can be really hot (erspecially when they're in shorts :( )

I think i'll try the thing that KMP suggested, we'll just have to see how it works, i could wrap it up in a few receiving blankets, or maybe that cute blue flame fabric i bought for diapers a long time ago and never used...

Zoesmama
07-25-2005, 07:09 PM
I'd like one too. I'm thinking of getting one on Walmart.com that is also a travel bag for carseats. I'll be moving via plane. DH is driving but we didn't want to attempt a cross country trip with a 2 year old.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2276637&cat=164194&type=1&dept=5427&path=0%3A5427%3A91365%3A164194

Zoesmama
07-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I live in Arizona so I know about the heat in cars. One day I used our cold foods to cool off her seat before putting her in. Ice bags work well and my fav frozen veggie bags. :tu Works well for leaving grocery store but not other places.

red_head_angel
08-02-2005, 04:23 PM
I never thought about that. :cry My poor babies.

How long do you leave the ice pack in the seat? Instead of ziploc bags, you could use a vacuum sealer if you have one. :tu

GodChick
08-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Awsome idea. :cool

Had to laugh at this statement on the website:

In the hot weather months, a vehicle's internal temperature can soar to over 100 degrees Heh--a lot of us here are living in places where it's "soaring over 100 degrees" OUTSIDE the car! :giggle

milkmommy
08-02-2005, 11:14 PM
:think is this something that would have to be hauled out and installed everytime?? As much as I'd love her seat to be cooler (we have no garrage so cars are in dirrect heat) I'm not sure if I want something that complicated. I keep a quilt over the car seat, the metals warm but not hot, seems to work. :shrug

Deanna

LadybugSam
08-03-2005, 11:28 AM

In the hot weather months, a vehicle's internal temperature can soar to over 100 degrees Heh--a lot of us here are living in places where it's "soaring over 100 degrees" OUTSIDE the car! :giggle

LOL here too!

Desert Rose
08-03-2005, 01:32 PM

Yeah...funny thing is, I think she actually lives in my homestate of AZ so she should know that! :giggle

GodChick
08-04-2005, 07:47 AM
i'm going to make this with sunntmeee's instructions. ( :rockon ) do you thinkk flannel would be ok to sew the sack, or would it allow the bag to sweat onto the carseat?