PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your embroidery thread?

cklewis
07-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Please tell me you have some brilliant strategy. I have those little cardboard bobbins. :td And those magnetic long strips with holes. :shrug

My personal fav is throwing them all in a shoebox and spending my evenings detangling.

And yours?

C

Mother of Sons
07-16-2005, 03:37 PM
My mom used to keep hers all in these tiny little ziplock bags that (I assume) were specifically for floss (what we call it here lol) She labeled them each with the number and stored them in order in a long rectangular tupperware container with a lid. It worked great.

UltraMother
07-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Ziplocs. Don't spend your $ on the neat little Floss Bags (unless you really want to). I just buy the regular store brand ones. I punch a hole in the side of the bag and hold them all on little clippy rings, like the ones in a three-ring binder. And make sure you LABEL the floss color number on the bag :).

expatmom
07-16-2005, 11:56 PM
I go with the shoebox method, so I am no help :grin

Teribear
07-17-2005, 06:06 AM
I own every color of DMC floss made. I have it on those cardboard bobbins filed by color in those plastic "tackle box" things you can get on the craft aisle. I used to do a lot of my own design work and having it arranged that way made it easier than having it arranged by number. The bobbins DO have the DMC number written on the end of it so that I can replace it with the correct color when one gets emptied.

Of course I haven't done hand stitching in nearly 9 years (Pre-kiddo) so all my lovely organized floss is in storage.

My machine embroidery thread is on those pegged thread holders, mounted on screws hanging on the wall. That way I can just wrap rubber bands around it to hold it in place and carry the entire thread holder with me when I do onsite events.

Punkie
07-17-2005, 01:37 PM
I do the tackle box / cardboard thingie too...

SunnyMeee
07-18-2005, 07:19 AM
I have most of my floss on cardboard bobbins in the standard clear container. Not too long ago I purchased a package of those small ziploc bags for floss and have been using them for my new floss. BUT I recently saw this StitchBow system at Wal-Mart and HobbyLobby...

http://www.ericas.com/xstitch/stitchbow.htm

and I like the looks of it. The drawback, for me, is that the majority of my floss is on the bobbins. If I switched to this system, I'd feel compelled to purchase all new floss. I am just *so* that way. :jump

cklewis
07-18-2005, 08:23 AM
StitchBow system at Wal-Mart and HobbyLobby...

<drool> I want it!

C

boonpnutsmom
07-18-2005, 02:26 PM
I have to answer same as Teri and Amanda, I have the cardboard bobbins and the tackle box, sorted by colors, I think I have close to every color, my skeins take up about 3 boxes now I think. My mom has this special notebook with holes in it and everything is in that by DMC number but some have even different dye lots so she has blank pages set up for that also.

booboo
07-22-2005, 05:50 PM
I use the plastic floss holders (they look similar to the cardboard ones) and put them in one of those clear organizers with those little compartments in them. You'd find them in the bead aisle in a crafts store or the crafts section at WalMart. I"ve been doing this since I started x-stitching, 15 years ago! :-)

Wonder Woman
07-22-2005, 06:00 PM
My DMC floss is on bobbins, in a clear tackle box.

MY silk fibers are on cardboard (Rainbow Gallery, packaged that way)
or in skeins (eternasilk (http://www.eternasilk.com/) - I LOVE it!) laid neatly in a long tupperware container.
My wool and my silk ribbon are packaged as they come, stored in tupperware.
My tatting thread is in tackle boxes, except for my size 30 and up, which is neatly stacked in my craft cabinet.
My Perle Cotton for Hardanger is on plastic bobbins or left in skeins, in tackle boxes.
My Kreinik, RG, and DMC metallics are on spools.

I have *way* too much stash.

And you didn't even ask about my counted thread books. My Bargello books. My Hardanger books. My magazines. My tatting books. My beads and other embellishments. My frame stash, for finished projects. My floor stand. My lap stand. My light. My magnifier. And my fabric stash.

I think I need to start a store! :laughtears :hiding