PDA

View Full Version : lentil recipes

Proverbs31
07-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Does anyone have good lentil recipes? So far I've found a great one for dhal, and another for nachos. I've tried the lentil growers' website, but haven't been too impressed with the ones I've tried from there.

Thanks!

ArmsOfLove
07-15-2005, 05:50 PM
I have a crock pot recipe that I've gotten raves from even from people who don't usually eat lentils :tu

I do the lentils and the water and cube up a potato or two in there. And then I do garlic--fresh or roasted minced garlic, garlic powder--however you like it. Then salt and pepper to taste.

anitajoye
07-15-2005, 08:41 PM
heres one i do and we love it.
-anita
http://www.recipezaar.com/85865

ShangriLewis
07-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Yum..nachos. Why aren't you sharing?

I throw some in chili and it gives it a meaty texture! Must cheaper than burger crumbles.

Proverbs31
07-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the ideas! They sound both tasty and quick to prepare--can't wait to try them!

For the nachos:
-equal amounts red lentils and quinoa (for example, 3/4 c of each)
-water = 2x the amount of lentils and quinoa (so in the example, 3 c)
-diced garlic (the kind in the refrigerated jar, or fresh; in the example, a heaping tablespoon)

-1 pkg frozen spinach (or fresh spinach)
-ground cumin
-chili powder
-salt

Rinse lentils and quinoa. Place in kettle with water and garlic; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20-30 min.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degree F. Microwave spinach till thawed (or if you use fresh spinach, wilt it).
Remove lentil/quinoa mixture from heat when done simmering. Add cumin, chili powder, and salt to taste (I use lots of cumin!); mix well. Stir in spinach. Spread mixture in pan (for the example quantity, a 13x9x2 pan works well).

-1 onion
-2-3 sweet bell peppers
-2 tomatoes (more if small)

Dice onion, peppers, tomatoes. Sprinkle on top of lentil/quinoa/spinach mixture in pan.

-shredded cheese to taste (eliminate if vegan, but still bake the pan for a few minutes)

Sprinkle over pan. Put pan in oven (uncovered) for a few minutes, until cheese melts. Serve with chips, and taco sauce/salsa/sour cream as desired.

mom2princesses
07-16-2005, 09:29 PM
I cook mine with country ham and veggies - YUMMY! Served up with corn bread :grin