PDA

View Full Version : Interupting Mom and Dad

LadybugSam
07-15-2005, 10:33 AM
i was just wondering what you thought of this. It seems that everywhere else i read, people tell you to completely ignore the child unless their bleeding or dead when you're talking to your husband, and i really don't think thats what i want to do.

I have a very young non verbal toddler, he's 20 months old, and everytime i cuddle with dh on the couch or we hug each other or we kiss each other, caleb comes running towards us, grabs our legs, and whines and looks up at us like we're about to leave him at the grocery store.. so basically we start out like this :hug and up like this :grouphug. and while it isn't horrible, it is interupting and i would like to be able to hug my husband every once in a while.

What do you ladies think?

GodChick
07-15-2005, 10:58 AM
:popcorn

watching for replies--got the same scenario with our 2.5 y/o, and she's also a talker and won't let dh and i have a conversation w/o her dominating it. i don't want to just ignore her, either. what i've been doing is telling her, "just a minute, Serena, daddy is trying to tell mommy something right now." but it doesn't always work.

:popcorn

Radosny Matka
07-15-2005, 06:54 PM
:shrug It'll get better with time. I would just do this: :grouphug Before we know it, it will be like pulling teeth to get a hug from our children. I'm going to enjoy them all while I can. :)

joystrength
07-16-2005, 10:34 PM
I guess this is just an holdover from MY childhood. When my DCs "interrupt," I ask them to touch the adult's arm and say, "Excuse me, Daddy or Mommy (or whomever)." And then to wait until the adult (or whoever), says, "Yes, DC, ... what is it?" I also hold up one finger (index) and say, "just one moment, Mommy's talking."

We try to do this with each other AND them, too.

LadybugSam
07-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Ok so sinse its been going on, i try to tell him that mommy and daddy are talking/hugging/whatever and that i'll get to him in a moment.

this morning he actually squeezed in between our legs and pushed us apart.