PDA

View Full Version : Nursing to Sleep and Problems with Teeth

Myrtle
07-13-2005, 06:07 PM
I usually nurse my 12 month old to sleep, but now that she has several teeth, I've been concerned about tooth decay. I know "they" say not to let a baby fall asleep with a bottle, and I've had several people tell me "they" also say that nursing to sleep can cause cavities. Is this really a problem? I try to brush dd's teeth once or twice a day (some days are better than others :mrgreen), but dh and I both have had several cavities over the years and I want to spare her as much as possible. I really don't want to stop nursing to sleep, but I don't want dd to have rotten teeth either. Any suggestions or helpful info? TIA

clarksk
07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
I took my dd to a pediatric dentist when she was 20mos. old. She has always nursed to sleep. Anyway, her teeth looked good. The dentist suggested brushing her teeth before she gets really sleepy. I would give them a good brushing before she went to sleep, and also when she woke up. The dentist told me that babies who nurse have fewer orthodontic problems than babies who suck on pacifiers or bottles. But, they may still get cavities, so try to brush often. Hope this helps.

Havilah
07-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I've done quite a bit of reading about this and it seems that brushing is key. The breastmilk is not likely to cause cavities alone, but breastmilk + food can invite trouble. I'm absolutely religious about brushing ds' teeth carefully *every* night and we seem to be doing well.