PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever made homemade yogurt?

anniegirl
07-13-2005, 03:49 PM
How difficult is it? Any tips? Experiences? Is it even worth trying? TIA! :yum

JJsMom
07-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I know there was a thread in the veg forum recently on homemade soy yogurt, here it is:
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=9249.0
I've been interested in doing it, but haven't yet. Hope it works out for you! :-)

anniegirl
07-13-2005, 09:37 PM
cool! thanks! :tu

Iarwain
07-14-2005, 05:52 AM
I make yogurt all the time and it is definitely very easy once you get the hang of it. I usually make several quarts at once because we go through a lot of it.

raquel
07-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi, I make it from a recipe I got in the More With Less Cookbook and it works great!!

My only beef with homemade yoghurt is finding flavourings to go with it....I currently buy the Easiyo bottles of flavouring but they're full of sugar but I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe I'll start a post about it! :)

Let me know if you want a recipe and I'll post mine.

anniegirl
07-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Yes! Please do post the recipe! I'm curious to try it. Thanks! :-)

raquel
07-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Okay! here goes.

Mix together:
1 1/2 cups powdered milk (I use skim/low-fat)
3 cups warm water (you could probably subsitute 3 cups of straight milk)

Mix in:
1/2 can (approx 3/4 cup) evaporated milk (again I use low-fat) {the recipe book says you can sub scalded milk for the evaporated milk. I find it easier to just open the can and dump! :))

Take 1 cup of this mixture and mix in 1/8-1/4cup plain yoghurt.

Return the yoghurt mixture to the milk mixture. Mix together and then pour into container you'll set the yoghurt in. Then leave it alone!

I use my Easiyo container for setting the yoghurt. It keeps it at a nice warm temp and sets within 6-8 hours.

HTH! :rockon

tryin-to-FROG
08-09-2005, 08:22 PM
can you make yogurt with rice milk?
anyone ever tried with goats milk?

raquel
08-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Hmm....having never had to drink either of these milks I am not sure at all! :shrug

However, I'm hoping my post will bump this up so someone who has might be able to help you. If you don't get an answer to your Q soon maybe start a seperate thread with the appropriate subject line in it to attract attention.

Good luck! :D

Iarwain
08-14-2005, 03:37 PM
can you make yogurt with rice milk?
anyone ever tried with goats milk?

I have used goats' milk. It works fine but doesn't come out quite as thick as cows' milk yogurt due to the softer curd of goats' milk.

Haven't tried rice milk but I have used soy milk. I add cornstarch to thicken it when using soy. I don't care for the soy yogurt but dairy-allergic ds seems happy with it.