PDA

View Full Version : Not feeling full...

Titus2:5Catholic
07-13-2005, 06:57 AM
We recently switched to lacto-ovo vegetarian. Before that, I had tended towards low-carb because no other way of eating made me feel full.

I'm having the same problem now- I just don't feel full after a vegetarian meal. I'm trying to make sure I include *some* source of protein (eggs, dairy or beans) in my meals, but it's not quite the same. A huge part of why I'm doing this is to lose weight but I'm eating more because I'm so hungry all the time.

Anyone gone through this?

Punkie
07-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Are you using all whole grains? I know that my dh says that always makes a huge difference for him :shrug

memory maker
07-13-2005, 09:33 AM
when I switched our diet a friend of mine recommended that you eat fruit before each meal. Something about the pectin in fruit helps you feel fuller longer

ShangriLewis
07-13-2005, 10:36 AM
It really is just a new way of looking and feeling about eating. I grew up with lots of meat and I felt so different. It takes awhile but you will start to feel full again. Meat is really heavy in the stomach. After a year if you eat some meat you will so awful and feel like you have lead in your stomach. Have you read the China Study yet?

You may need to eat more. Maybe some raw veggies to snack on during the day.

GrowingInGrace
07-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Definitely ditto the possibly needing to eat more. Aim for a complex carb/protein snack such as nuts and dried fruit, celery and PB, etc.

Maybe try adding more whole grains (not whole grain flours, but whole GRAINS) and nuts into your diet?

Titus2:5Catholic
07-14-2005, 11:45 AM
I usually try to have whole grain breads, rice, cereal, etc. Can't quite get used to whole grain pasta yet.

I'm sensitive to nuts- they can trigger allergy symptoms if I eat them in more then small amounts. A handful here and there, or a pb sandwich is fine, but that's about it.

I'm trying to eat less- maybe I just shouldn't worry about it for now, especially with nursing?

GrowingInGrace
07-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Well yes, going vegetarian definitely decreases your overall caloric intake, and breastfeeding requires more, so do eat till you feel full!