PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm nuts! Help me please! (sewing)

DogwoodMama
07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
:crazy OK, I really really want to be able to sew some of dd's clothes, mostly just for the personal satisfaction tbh since I can actually get kids clothes cheaper than I can make them probably. I started a thread on the old board about this, and got some good replies but never got brave enough to try. But the desire has still been there. So I went to Joanne's and got fleece to do the tie blanket, and ended up buying a simplicity pattern! :O

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=1&type=4&sec=13&id=25&startrow=1
It's number 4809...

So now I'm freaked, I don't even know where to start. Where do I start? What do I do first? Measure? Buy fabric?

I have basic sewing skills, btw, but have sewn primarily stuff for home. My sewing machine is a very basic Kenmore, and I don't have a serger, and I don't know how to do zippers. Am I nuts to try this? :shrug

cklewis
07-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I always find patterns run off on size, so you may want to start with measuring your DD and comparing it to the pattern numbers on the envelope flap.

Then find fabric. Joanne's is GREAT, but I know some online sources. Look for the recommended fabrics on the pattern envelope. Here (http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?dvPage=/assets/4809/4809.pdf&design=4809).

Then we'll help you from there.

C

Iarwain
07-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Definitely measure first. Also read the whole back of the pattern envelope. Then go shopping for your fabric. There's a yardage chart on the envelope to tell you how much fabric you need for the size you are making. Always buy a little more than it says just in case of shrinkage and to give you a little leeway when laying out your pattern for cutting. I usually add about 1/4 yard to the number on the envelope. On the same trip you want to get your thread and notions so that you don't have to go back and so you can do it with your fabric in hand to match stuff to. When picking thread if you're unsure between two colors go with one a slight bit darker as the stitches will show less that way. Get all the notions listed on the back of the pattern envelope for the pattern view you are using. If you want to re-use the pattern in a different size later you might also want to pick up some tissue paper to trace the pattern onto so you don't have to cut your original. Otherwise don't worry about it. When you get home wash and dry your fabric the same way you intend to when the garment is done. That way you'll get any shrinkage taken care of beforehand.

Good luck and happy sewing! :)

cklewis
07-12-2005, 06:43 PM
ALWAYS pre-wash before cutting!! Larwain mentioned that, but I just wanted to highlight it. PREWASH!!!

C

UltraMother
07-12-2005, 10:13 PM
I would find a good, basic sewing skills book. It's important to understand things like ease and reinforcement. If sewing for children is your basic concern, consider learning about and working with knit fabrics. They stretch and move with the child (and that child's growing body). They're not hard, just different from wovens.

cklewis
07-13-2005, 03:55 AM
I would find a good, basic sewing skills book. It's important to understand things like ease and reinforcement. If sewing for children is your basic concern, consider learning about and working with knit fabrics. They stretch and move with the child (and that child's growing body). They're not hard, just different from wovens.

That's a good idea. My fav books were are black, paperback Singer books because the photos were so clear. All public libraries have them I know they have a children's clothing book!

C

DogwoodMama
07-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the book rec... I have a couple of books, & look at them, but I think it's one of those things where I just have to *do* it, & since I can't afford lessons, I'm just going to try it... that's the only way you learn without someone to teach you, right? :grin

Oliveshoots
07-13-2005, 11:04 AM
When you mentioned not being able to afford lessons....

Is there someone in your church that could sort of mentor you in your sewing endeavors?

One of my close friends and co-workers here at church who used to sew lots of her kids clothes, made her daughter's bridal gown and ALL bridesmaids/flower girl dresses, is teaching a sewing class here at church. She's doing it as part of the Women's Ministry, and all the ladies are paying for is their fabric, pattern, and notions!

Is there someone you know that could do something like that? Maybe someday you could lead a class at your church?

DogwoodMama
07-13-2005, 11:32 AM
:think There has to be, our church is FULL of talented people. I just don't know who... I know a cake decorator, master gardener, and other artists, but I'm not sure who sews. That's a great idea idea to try to find someone though! :)

cklewis
07-13-2005, 11:37 AM
I know a really, really good digital scrapbooker that goes to your church. :shifty :giggle

:laughtears

C

DogwoodMama
07-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks, Camille. :O :giggle

I wish *you* went to my church, mistress of many crafts! ;) :lol

cannuke
07-14-2005, 02:56 PM
The only other thing that I would say is not to be too hard on yourself if at first you make something that doesn't look exactly the way you'd like. I usually start out using cheaper fabric on the first time that I use a pattern so that I can get the hang of it. That way, if I do manage to make a mess (which happens :blush ), then I don't feel like I've wasted a ton of money on really expensive fabric.

Finally, I've found that knits are indeed great to make stuff that moves and stretches, but wovens with good body are easier to work with when you're first starting. Knits are tougher, IMO.

Good luck!

OpalsMom
07-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Clothes for little kids are great, because the kids aren't picky, the clothes aren't fitted, and they don't use much fabric so they're cheaper and the seams are shorter and faster. I get rave reviews for DD's pants -- she has some wild ones, like one leg with apples and one with pears. Each leg is one piece. You sew up the inseams, then the crotch, then you hem them and put in a casing for some elastic. Takes me an hour from uncut fabric to pants, tops.

OpalsMom
07-16-2005, 10:49 PM
I just made 2 skirts for DD. The good news is it's cheap and easy -- doesn't take any skills you won't have gotten from home dec sewing. The bad news is, hey, no toddler really needs a skirt. Basically, it's a waist frill. But I found myself wanting to put onesies on her and shorts just seemed like too much at the crotch. putting jumpers over them obscures anything cute on the onesie, and unlike DH I am not willing to send her out in just a onesie. So, skirts -- this makes a size in the 18-24 month range.

Buy 2 1/4 yard pieces of quilting cotton. Not quilter's fat quarters, plain old quarters. One of these will be the top, and more of it will show. The other will be the bottom, and it will be flatter. Picking the fabrics is the hard part, and will be the main thing that determines whether or not people will ooh and aah. Avoid strong horizontal lines unless the fabric is guaranteed to be printed evenly (I made the mistake of truing the first skirt before I checked to see if it had been printed true. It had not. It looks like I was very sloppy, when it was the printers.)

Prewash the fabric and cut off the selvedges. Trim the two pieces to the same width if necessary. You could trim off some more if you wanted to, I've been saving some scraps. If you are using a sewing machine, finish all the edges; on a serger, you only need to do the top edge of the top fabric.

Sew each fabric's short edges together, right side to right side. Fold the bottom one in half long ways, wrong side to wrong side. Decide which of the two sides of the shorter length you like better, and treat it as the "right" side. Pin the two tubes together along a long edge, right sides to right sides. Sew that seam through all three thicknesses. Fold over the top and stitch an elastic casing; thread it with 20 inches of elastic, or whatever works for your child. You're done.

The doubled band at the bottom serves two purposes. First, it makes the skirt stand out more. Second, it means you don't have to hem it. I've hemmed too many things lately. If you wanted a longer skirt and didn't mind hemming, you could easily just take a longer cut of fabric, seam the short ends, hem it, and put an elastic casing in. It would have less of the "designer original" look you get from using two different fabrics.

Sad admission: I've made two skirts, neither of which can plausibly be worn with the onesies that started me off on this tack. Sigh.

DogwoodMama
07-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Opalsmom- that sounds like a great project! :) I would LOVE to see pics! :tu

Marielle
07-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Chiming in a bit late but I love to encourage fellow sewing moms. If you like the sewing I suggest you check out Amitymama's sewing board for tons of information and tips. Also, there's a new board called Sewing Mamas that's picking up speed too.

As far as beginners I would recommend Kwik Sew patterns. They run true to size, are very easy to put together, look great and for babies/toddlers actually fit on a CD butt. They're pricier than other patterns but I belong to a coop where you get a deep discount. Also I THIRD the suggestion to measure according to the package, maybe even slightly tissue fit the pieces on your daughter. The Big 3 pattern companies are notorious for off sizes & sometimes unclear instructions.

Julia R
08-07-2005, 02:42 PM
How's the project coming along?