PDA

View Full Version : Our lil' dog Kiwi need a new home. Help?

Lantern Light Mama
07-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Our dog Kiwi is a Sooner mix and is almost two year old. She is such a sweet dog but lately she jumps all over me and I cant do anything with her anymore out of fear shell jump on my stomach. Last night she scratched my leg from knee to thigh and it caused a huge welp but it did not bleed.

Lately I have felt so bad because she has been staying outside tied under the tree a lot..too much for me to be ok with. Dh wont spend the time to play with her either and I can't get near her because she pummels me:(

I called all of the local animal shelters that do not put them down but they said they are filled (probably because of hurricanes) and nobody can take her. I don't know what to do with her anymore.

Ds loves her so much and I don't want to give her away but I dont think I have a choice.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I wish she could go to live on a farm with a lot of room to run around:(

IslandMama
07-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Do you have time to train her? I have 4 dogs myself, 2 are big dogs, and know it's possible to train them not to be so wild... All of my dogs are house dogs, and also spend time running and playing outside. But you have to decide if you want to commit time to this and if you really want to keep her. It would be like having another child at first... If you can't devote time to her each day then I would say it would be in her best interest and your family's to find her another home. Tied up is no way to live, poor thing! What about the local paper or placing an ad somewhere? You can say "free to good home" and just make sure you screen them carefully, so you know she will end up with someone who can devote time to her. I once had a dog that ran away all the time, she always could figure out how to dig out under the fence. I was pg with baby #4, and it was too much for me... We found a wonderful couple that had a dog she could run and play with, and they had a big yard with a secure fence, and were willing to work with her. So please don't feel bad... You're doing the right thing trying to find a solution that works for you and your dog! :tu HTH!

Ali
07-13-2005, 10:45 PM
This is just my two cents from what you wrote. But it sounds like she needs some basic obedience. Does she know "sit" and "down" or "stay"? If she can learn that she only gets attention if she's sitting, she will learn to do that instead of jump. My guess is she's not getting enough attention, so she's getting overly exhuberant in order to get some. Try making more time for her in the day. Does she spend most of her day in the house with you? Is she getting a lot of exercise? Maybe a good walk every day? Will she fetch a ball? Even if I had no energy, I could still throw the ball while sitting on the back porch. A great book to check out is "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommons. This is a great book to follow if you aren't able to take your dog to an oragnized obedience class. HTH, and :hug If all else fails, run an ad in the paper and hopefully you can find a loving home.

Lantern Light Mama
07-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Unfortunately we can not let her run free to even play...she runs away. Im going to get DH to try to play with her some more, but he's been at work odd hours lately, and at the range for training....we can't even get our own stuff done because of the hours:(

I do have some good news...my mom said they might take her. Kiwi is very very hyper active. She is such a good dog and I know she deserves more attention but the last couple who had her did nothing to train her and she doesnt even like walks if she has to be on a leash.

She is really a happy dog. She generally likes the outdoors and to run and play, so im praying that my mom will take her.