PDA

View Full Version : Jumping up suggestions

Can Dance
07-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Yesterday my nieghbour came by with her 2 year old. Bentley is pretty good about not jumping up but a super easy thing I did was I tied him to his lease and stepped on it. The 2 yo pet Bentley, fed him some treats and Bentley then calmed down from the excitement of having new people over. then I was able to let him off leash.

You step on it to where he can stand and sit and no more. And if your guests are okay with giving him treats, start by offering them on the floor and then out of the hand. if a dog is all ready a bit nervous, forcing him to take a treat from a stranger isn't going to help. this is a great thing to do if your dog(s) become ecstatic when people come to visit. Pushing your dog down with your hands only rewards the behaviour, bc its still attention, even though its negative. dogs jump up to greet bc that is how they greet each other, with thier mouths.
anymore questions, ask away. I am thinking about periodically posting easy ways to fix problems.
Candice

IslandMama
07-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi Candice... I have a question about small dogs. I have 2 big dogs, which somehow seemed easier to train for me (GSD and Belgian Malinois) maybe bcuz I have experience with this type of breed... I have a Jack Russell pup that is a spaz! Do you recommend I keep a leash on him at all times while in the house until he gets it? He jumps on the kids whenever they appear in the room, even if they just leave to go to the bathroom. I have had him on the leash, then let him go once calm, but he starts up again. Then he runs so fast sometimes I can't catch him. I've started having everyone in the house ignore him when he is wild, and only pet him once he is calm and sits, but I haven't worked on correction consistently. So do what else would you recommend? Thanks! :-)

Can Dance
07-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi Candice... I have a question about small dogs. I have 2 big dogs, which somehow seemed easier to train for me (GSD and Belgian Malinois) maybe bcuz I have experience with this type of breed... I have a Jack Russell pup that is a spaz! Do you recommend I keep a leash on him at all times while in the house until he gets it? He jumps on the kids whenever they appear in the room, even if they just leave to go to the bathroom. I have had him on the leash, then let him go once calm, but he starts up again. Then he runs so fast sometimes I can't catch him. I've started having everyone in the house ignore him when he is wild, and only pet him once he is calm and sits, but I haven't worked on correction consistently. So do what else would you recommend? Thanks! :-)

well, I can offer you one small hope that bc he is a puppy he will outgrow this bx, but I cannot guarantee that. another thing to consider as well, is to get him neutered. Jack Russells are known for thier incredible energy and he will always need an outlet for that.
I probably would keep him on a leash a lot. I call it the umblilcal cord method. this way you watch him constantly. this is also good for potty training. I would also work on being more consistent with your training him not to jump. it sounds like you are doing all the right things by not petting him when he is jumping, etc. you just don't want to inadvertantly reward that bx. I don't know how helpful that really is.
Puppies are SO HARD. they are SO CUTE, but mygoodness, they are a lot of work. this too shall pass.
Candice

IslandMama
07-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks Candice! :tu