PDA

View Full Version : least toxic wipes

cheri
07-08-2005, 07:14 AM
I am probably going to go the disposable diaper route (yes, I know, I know...don't hate me) and I will probably also be using disposable wipes most of the time.

So... if I do use disposable wipes, what's the least toxic, least irritating wipe that's out there? I'm up for making my own wipes at home if I can throw them away, but are there any wipes that I can purchase that aren't horrible for my baby?

MarynMunchkins
07-08-2005, 07:19 AM
I'd just make your own. :) I did for Doug, and it's really simple.

Make up your wipe solution. I used about 2 c. water, 1T. baby shampoo, 1T. almond oil, and a couple drops of TTO and lavendar oil. Then cut a roll of paper towels in half (Bounty or Viva worked best) and soak it in the solution. Pull out the cardboard tube from the inside and your wipes will pull from there. You can buy a tupperware container that will fit the wipes for a couple dollars. :)

Mama Calidad
07-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Homemade Baby Wipes

1/2 roll of quality paper towels (cut in half to make short rolls)
1/8-1/4 c. liquid castile soap
1/8-1/4 c. apricot oil
2 cups lukewarm water
1 plastic container that the rolls fit in

Cut roll in half and remove center cardboard. In container, mix liquid ingredients. Place one half of roll in container. Place on lid and tip upside down. To use, pull out from center.

LauraK
07-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I cloth diaper but still use disposable wipes because my dd seems to get irritation from wipe solutions I have tried, even plain water. I like the unscented ones from babysRus and target that are like the pampers wipes. Huggies wipes irritate my dds bum, even the unscented ones. I like pampers wipes as well, either the unscented regular or the "newborn" ultra sensitive ones. Lanisoh makes wipes and they are nice but super expensive.... I just used up the ones they gave me as a free sample.

Embracing Grace
07-08-2005, 07:05 PM
We have used 7th Generation brand... although they can be a little pricey.

DogwoodMama
07-09-2005, 08:02 PM
We usually use cloth wipes, but when we do use regular wipes when we're out and about, we usually use the "Huggies Natural" ones... I think you can get them in bulk at Sam's as well... I think they're pretty good. :)

Soliloquy
07-09-2005, 08:06 PM
just plain water and soft paper towels work just fine in a pinch.

Just curious, have you thought of cloth diapering? Sorry if you've been asked that alot. When I was PG I was adamant about using disposables, until I saw how cool and easy the new CDs are. It's not a lot of work at all, either. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disregard!!!!

Lantern Light Mama
07-09-2005, 08:41 PM
I second Seventh Generation. Ds breaks out w/ any other wipe. When I cant afford them I use cloth or I buy them for trips out only. I hear the Seventh Generation diapers are great too, but ive never bought them since they are pricey.

cheri
07-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Just curious, have you thought of cloth diapering? Sorry if you've been asked that alot. When I was PG I was adamant about using disposables, until I saw how cool and easy the new CDs are. It's not a lot of work at all, either. Just my 2 cents

Yes, actually I've given it a lot of thought and even considered purchasing some. The issues holding me back are that people have stocked us up with tons of disposables already (my main reason to use cloth is $ and you can't save money if you already have free diapers) Because it would be a $ issue, I don't consider buying things like Fuzzi Bunz a money saver. And the other issue is that we travel a lot and I don't want to carry dirty diapers on a plane. And to be totally honest, I know this sounds stupid, but I already hate laundry and don't know if I want even one more load.

But I haven't ruled them out completely. I just know that I will be using disposables a lot and would like to find the least irritating.

Lantern Light Mama
07-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Cheri,

I hate laundry too so I can sympathize. It does add a lot to the load and we already have so much, from PT's being washed every day to kiddo's diapers since he wont potty. Im determined though because I can only afford disposables if I cut cost somewhere else.
Those Nylon totes work great for trips though, they keep all of the stinkies in though you do get a good whiff of amonia if they sit too long. Who knows, later down the road you could always give it a try. We didnt start cloth diaper until DS was already around a year old (I think) because the disposable diapers gave him rashes. This time Im starting off with a newborn, so I dont know what to expect. Maybe tons of laundry?

purplerose
07-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, I do sposies and I love them! :tu (ducking from the stuff being thrown at me!), but I swear by the Huggies wipes! I :heart love them! They are thick and really clean up well! They are fairly priced too! Neither of my kids got rashes from them and DS has sensitive skin too!!!

Soliloquy
07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
. And to be totally honest, I know this sounds stupid, but I already hate laundry and don't know if I want even one more load.

But I haven't ruled them out completely. I just know that I will be using disposables a lot and would like to find the least irritating.

I completely understand! I do not think everyone should use CDs, it's a personal decision you have to make. If you truly hate laundry, then CDs will probably just get on your nerves.

cheri
07-12-2005, 05:28 AM
It is all a little overwhelming. I've seen the Seventh Generation wipes and I'm willing to pay more if they're worth it. (Or in our situation, request those specific wipes as gifts since our family members are already out of control with buying things) But I also know that Huggies and Pampers make "natural" ones and Pampers has a "sensitive" one. I stood in Target the other day for 10 minutes with a box of "natural" and "sensitive" trying to compare them and couldn't figure it out. I also saw that Lansinoh has wipes that are sold with the breastfeeding supplies.

Why does it have to be so confusing? I just want a non-irritating wipe!

Oliveshoots
07-12-2005, 06:31 AM
I love homemade wipes. And you can always use a gentle recipe (like Laura's above), or use a non-toxic baby wash/lotion in there. We make ours with a bit of baby oil, baby lotion, and baking soda (to keep them fresh). But now that i've read the above ideas, I would definitely substitute apricot oil (bet that smells yummy!) or tto or lavender for the baby oil (although I LOVE the scent of baby oil.) And as for the baby lotion, there are some healthy alternatives, like Weleda or California Baby. I don't think there's anything wrong with the baking soda, but I bet the tto would serve the same function as the soda.

We use the cheap-o's from Dollar General and Wal-Mart (Parents Choice I think it's called). I have scoured the ingredients lists on both, and they seem like the most gentle and safe out of all the disposable wipes we've tried. Only thing is, most wipes use bleached paper products.

Lantern Light Mama
07-12-2005, 08:21 AM
One thing I hate about baby wipes is that they wont tell you on the package that almost all of them are bleached and made from woodpulp. :banghead I think the Seventh Generation ones are unbleached. www.seventhgeneration.com. Anything with bleach in it irritates our DS's skin until he is raw. I know lots of parents can use sposies and wipes without any problems but because of Mikey's allergies I will not use those things on this baby unless its a situation like if we are traveling to another state.

Proverbs31
07-12-2005, 09:09 PM
We use 7th Generation wipes (they make great diapers too!). They are the only ones I've found where I don't smell any scent. (WHY do manufacturers feel compelled to scent nearly every baby product?!?! :hissyfit ) We just buy the 80-count resealable refill packs; it's easier to get the wipes out of the packs than out of the plastic tubs.

jluvts
07-22-2005, 10:49 PM
I just use a paper towel and water. I did a lot of research on chemicals and haven't found any moderately priced (as in anything you can buy at Wal-Mart, Sam's, Target, etc) that isn't chock full of nasty things. Trupe has done just fine of plain paper towels. His bum gets a little irritated once in a while, but thats usually because he pooped a lot that day, or needs a bath. And it always goes away with a bath (we get our bath supplies at Sprouts, we use Alba and Avalon Organics).

GodChick
07-23-2005, 01:51 PM
just to add my :tu for 7th generation.

they also make perfume-free, unbleached sposies. i tried them back when we were using sposies, and they worked well, but cost more than regular sposies.