PDA

View Full Version : Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods

mom2princesses
07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Does anyone feed their animals a BARF diet? I just started and would like some encouragement, cost cutting hints, etc etc :mrgreen
TIA

BearyBlessed
08-03-2005, 08:27 AM
I do!!! She absolutely loves it!!

The only cost cutting hints I have are to buy in bulk. I don't have a large freezer, so I can't do that right now. I'm looking forward to being able to do it.
There are a lot of BARF groups on Yahoo. I looked some up and joined, but haven't been back in some time. There are some that just give advice- what's ok, ideas, etc. There are others that are more specifically for finding local places to get food and getting it in major bulk that you split up.
I do know there's differing opinions on whether to feed veggies and/or supplements. Right now my dog just gets a hunk of meat- usually a chix leg quarter or something similar. When I started out, I pureed veggies for her. That took alot of work! Then I read that not everyone advocates feeing them anyways, so I stopped. I do try to remember to feed her an egg every few days, but I'm not very consistent with it.

I have noticed that she drinks a lot less water doing BARF than she did with kibble. Not sure if you've had the same thing happen or not.
Congrats on doing a great thing for your pet! :tu

mom2princesses
08-03-2005, 09:33 AM
So you don't do veggies at all? Just the leg quarters?

BearyBlessed
08-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Nope. No veggies. I guess there's definitely differing views on the subject. So, I went with what was easier. :O Like I said, I do give her eggs. And I try to remember to add in some liver/giblets. But, for the most part, she gets leg quarters. They are the cheapest. I also add in turkey thighs, cornish hens on occasion, and some pork/beef roasts (the boneless ones for this). Oh, and some canned fish. The fresh stuff is too expensive. And she wasn't too sure what to do with a whole fish, which was the cheapest way to go.
We also give her a Kong ( http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.asp ) when we leave the house. So, she gets cottage cheese, peanut butter, and biscuits every day or two.