PDA

View Full Version : What kind of sewing machine do you have?

cannuke
07-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Just curious about what sewing machine brands are being used out there.

I've got a Janome that does about 18 plain old stiches and would love a serger and/or a machine that does more fancy stitches and embroidery! (Insert drooling envy smiley here!).

Iarwain
07-08-2005, 08:41 AM
I have:

a Singer portable electric from circa 1983
a Singer Touch and Sew in a cabinet from 1967
a Kenmore treadle (that was manufactured by White and is really a White Family Rotary) from the 40s
a Singer 9W treadle (circa 1909) without the base. I technically gave it to my dd but am probably going to trade her for...
an older Singer electric (cast iron type with exterior mounted motor) which I am planning to convert to handcrank for dd to learn on. Technically I don't have this one yet, my mom saw it at a garage sale yesterday and I think she picked it up for me.

I use my portable the most and I think I'm giving the Touch and Sew to my sis. I love my working treadle, though. I think I would use that one the most but it doesn't zigzag and I use a zigzag stitch a LOT! I love old sewing machines.

Irene
07-08-2005, 08:43 AM
both my serger and regular machines are Pfaff- I also have some antique/old ones too :)

Close2MyHeart
07-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I have a husquavarna viking... just a regular machine :)

tiglet
07-08-2005, 09:37 AM
I can't believe my type of sewing machine isn't in the poll!

I have a Bernina. And I love love love it. When we were thinking about what stuff we'd take out of our house if the wildfires reached us (last summer) it was on the list! :)

(I also have a Kenmore, a really old black converted-to-electric-from-treadle [by my great grandmother] Singer, and a broken newer Singer.)

:)

Teribear
07-08-2005, 09:55 AM
I have a Bernina 1630 and my two embroidery machines (Bernina Deco and BrotherPR600)

jodyb
07-08-2005, 10:50 AM
I have a Viking with an embroidery unit which a rarely use. I also have a Babylock serger.

lenswyf
07-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Hubby let me buy a Bernina a few years ago, and I'm so grateful. It's a wonderful machine and has never given me even a hint of a headache. I can go from silk to canvas without much effort at all, and the tension never misses a beat. Love my machine!!

FWIW, it has some fancy stitches, and I still just use forward, backward and zigzag for most of my sewing, though I have used the hem-stitch a few times.

cannuke
07-09-2005, 09:12 AM
I can't believe my type of sewing machine isn't in the poll!
I'm so sorry! I remembered Bernina after the fact! :blush

Hopeful
07-11-2005, 02:56 AM
Well, as of Wednesday I will have a 1950s Singer 447...does the job but no frills ... and a Janome 6019QC with lots of quilting accesories... and I can't wait!!! :jump2

Hey Cannuke, looks like our babies are due around the same time and it seems we also share an interest in sewing! :)

BlessedBlue
07-11-2005, 03:06 AM
I have a 1950's Nelco that my mom gave me. It does a straight stitch, a zig-zag stitch, a blind hem stitch, and buttonholes. It is electric, and does do reverse!

I would so love a newer, fancier machine, but this one seems to get the job done, so the justification just isn't there...

Hopeful
07-11-2005, 03:26 AM
I would so love a newer, fancier machine, but this one seems to get the job done, so the justification just isn't there...

I know what you mean :O

I justified the new one to myself by thinking it would be my birthday present this year and also my 'new baby' present for me.

I do feel slightly guilty though.. :blush

cannuke
07-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Hey Cannuke, looks like our babies are due around the same time and it seems we also share an interest in sewing! :)

Yay! :hug

tiglet
07-11-2005, 05:31 PM
S'ok about no Bernina on the poll. :)

I just love mine so much.

After fighting with garage-sale machine after garage-sale machine, my grandfather gave me some $ right before he died and I bought a Bernina 130 with it. He loved sewing, and his ancient Singer (passed down from his Mom) came to me, too, but I love the Bernina.

Congratulations to Cannuke and Hopeful on upcoming babies!

sjgjmg823
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I have a Pfaff only because Bernina's are so darn expensive. I am sure the Bernina's are the best but Pfaff must be second best :tu. I grew up learning to sew on a pfaff mechanical machine. A little over a year ago I bought a pfaff computerized machine. I love :heart, love :heart, love :heart this machine. I paid too much for it. But rarely do I splurge on myself.

Once a Pfaff always a Pfaff,
Sarah

UltraMother
07-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Husqvarna Viking Juliet (the pink one). Do I count the antique ones that dh "collects"? He has 2 old featherweight Singers, and four from the 1950's

kklibrarian
07-29-2005, 09:06 AM
I have a Kenmore from the late 50s. It doesn't do anything fancy (straight stitches and zig-zag only), but it's indestructible. It'll sew through multiple thicknesses of denim, and it's really hard to screw anything up on it since its so simple.

I got it in a garage sale from a friend of my mom's for a really sweet deal. I had to get all of the belts replaced and get it oiled which cost $$, but overall it was a sweet deal.

Blessings,
Kelly

Marielle
07-31-2005, 10:04 AM
I have a Janome computerized sewing machine from Sears (the Harmony 8080) and a Janome-made for Kenmore serger (the 16233 I believe). Both have been great!

Abinsmom
08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a Pfaff, too, after having the world's worst Singer ever (bought it at Sam's Club for $150, so that explains that one!). When I was shopping for a new machine, I was told Pfaff is manufactured in two different places and that what you pay is based on where the machines come from. I paid about $400-$500 for my Pfaff, manufactured in Korea. The more expensive machines are manufactured in Germany, and those are the ones you really want! However, there's no real 'midrange' when it comes to Pfaff -- you either pay $500 for Korean manufacturing, or $1000 for German. If I'd had $1000, I'd have bought the higher-end!

BUT, I can't complain AT ALL about my machine. It far surpasses the Singer I had, and I've had a lot of fun with it. It's not computerized which is fine for me because I don't really sew more than your normal home decorating items (draperies, pillows, etc.) and the occasional Halloween costume.

I remember really loving the Berninas and the Vikings when I was shopping for my Pfaff, but the price was too far out of my range.