PDA

View Full Version : GF bread recipe?

JJsMom
07-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Anyone have a good one? I made a bag of Bob's Red Mill gf bread and it wasn't very good. It wasn't terrible. I ate a few pieces last night, but today it's not good. It's really eggy (I had to use six egg white and one whole egg!). I'm not expecting it to taste just like bread, but something a little closer would be great! I have brown rice flour, potato flour, tapioca flour and a little arrowroot. I also have some xantham gum. Thanks! :-)

Irene
07-06-2005, 03:03 PM
hmm I heard the bobs red mill was really good ;) havent tried it myself though. I have a recipe that I use, but IMO it tastes nothing like bread :shrug but its something to put Pb&J on for dd ;) and she likes it :)

did you see these at all? http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=41&sid=91hH9H1FEF0@1on-07105021729.17

Moon
07-13-2005, 12:46 PM
This is the one I use over and over again~

White Bread (bread machine)

LIQUID INGREDIENTS:
3 large eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water

DRY INGREDIENTS:
2 cups white rice flour- I use brown rice flour, either work fine
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup cornstarch- I fill a third cup with half potato starch and half tapioca flour 'cause we can't use corn either
2/3 cup dry milk- I've never used or replaced this, a friend with more baking experience said it's probably for colors sake
1 tbsp xanthan gum
3 tbsp sugar- I use organic evaporated cane juice
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp egg replacer, optional- I've never used it
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast- don't be afraid to use too much lol

wet ingredients in first (beat up the eggs), dry in on top, in order listed, making a little hole in the dry to put the yeast in. I don't use the regular bread setting on the machine. I put it straight on the dough setting, and once it's stopped for the "first rise" I turn it off. Once it's risen well I come back and switch it straight to the bake only cycle. GF breads don't need to rise twice like wheat breads do.

Irene
07-13-2005, 01:48 PM
what about not using a bread maker? can you use this same recipe?

Moon
07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I can't see why not? Just mix well, put it in the pan you'll bake it in to rise and set aside til it's risen well, then bake. My bread machine bakes it for an hour, I can't find the book so I don't know what temp it uses.