PDA

View Full Version : Using applesauce instead of oil?

mama2mychildren
07-06-2005, 01:06 PM
I have heard of a few who do this. Can someone explain to me how its done and what types of recipes it works best in? Do you use the same amount of applesauce as oil?

BeckaBlue
07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
interesting...i've only heard of applesauce to replace eggs.

:popcorn

Irene
07-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Ive done it! Its really yummy too... more moist and stuff. I have only done it in cakes and muffins though

julbug
07-06-2005, 02:42 PM
I did it with brownies in my Home Ec class in high school. They turned out great but I'm sorry I don't have the recipe from ye olden days.

RealLifeMama
07-06-2005, 09:38 PM
I do this all the time in breads and muffins and such. I just do an equal substitution.

I would love to know more on using it for eggs, though.
I know that there are a couple wonderful muffin recipes in Feeding the Whole Family cookbook that have no eggs but do have applesauce and they are the best muffins! Hmmmmmmmm....

boonpnutsmom
07-06-2005, 09:40 PM
I use pureed pears. This takes out a lot of sodium that is in things that you don't even realize it. I have used applesauce on occasion but it is more acidic and can disturb your other flavors.

BeckaBlue
07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
use 1/4C applesauce per egg to be replaced. it can leave a texture change, but it usually works out ok when i've tried it in cakes, have never used it for replacer in anything else (you can also use pureed bananas or a number of other fruits, also 1/4C = 1egg)

If i get anything that i need to use oil, i might just hafta try this!!

Close2MyHeart
07-07-2005, 05:23 AM
i tried it in bread and it didn't turn out at all :( Might try it in muffins or something. Muffins..mmm. muffins sound so good. Blueberry muffins. Yum!

RealLifeMama
07-07-2005, 06:13 AM
i tried it in bread and it didn't turn out at all :(

I just wanted to clarify that I have used it in quick breads only. JIC someone reading my post thought I meant I used it in leavened breads or something, as when I read the above post that is what it sounded like to me. :shrug