PDA

View Full Version : We have a new pet!

booboo
07-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Okay..this one was free. It's a caterpillar! :smile We found him in the kiddie pool this morning as we were filling it up. I was the one who suggested we keep him for now. The kids are so excited! I found a plastic instant coffee container to put him in, along with some cut grass, flowers, etc. He must've been just hatched because he's maybe just an inch long. Okay we don't know if it's a boy or girl, but I'll call him a boy. My dh is the only guy in our house and it'll make him feel less alone. :cool My 6 yo named the caterpillar Jesse.

I'm sorry I can't show a picture. The scanner works on my dh's computer and I accidently sent him a virus. oops.

cannuke
07-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Yay! We used to catch salamanders out of my grandparent's pool. Catepillars are so much fuzzier! :)

Sanveann
07-10-2005, 07:23 AM
He might need to eat a specific kind of leaf ... probably best to do research and see if you can ID him and what he eats.

booboo
07-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I should've done that research. After 2 days having him, he died. :( At first, I thought he was forming into a chrysalis, but it seemed too soon. I waited a few hours or so. I should've kept up with giving him some orange slices - he seemed pretty lively after that: constantly crawling around in his little jar (well ventiled - the jar was plastic). It's okay, the kids handled it well. It was much worse when our guinea pig died a couple of months ago.

Maybe we'll try this again if we find another caterpillar but I will do research ahead of time!