PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for.....

AKCristyMJ
07-02-2005, 02:19 PM
My almost 5yr old HATES all veggies!!
I can not get her to eat anything unless I get very creative in hiding it or masking the flavor.

Do you have any ideas to get a 5yr old to eat veggies?? Especially the super duper healthy veggies like Spinach....but right now I'd be thrilled if she just ate corn even!
The simpler the idea the better!
Thanx!

MarynMunchkins
07-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I put spinach in the cheese filling in my lasagna. :) You can hide a jar of baby food spinach in spaghetti sauce too. :)

But corn isn't a veggie - it's a grain. ;)

AKCristyMJ
07-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Yup knew that bout the Corn ;)
DD tho thinks it is a veggie and refuses it. :rolleyes
Tomatoes are fruit.....but she hates those too. :banghead

Mamaka
07-02-2005, 04:22 PM
I sometimes "hide" veges in casseroles or pasta sauces. Supposedly you can add grated carrot to spaghetti sauce and it's hard to tell the difference (have not actually tried that).

How about dipping? Sometimes vege hating kids will eat them if they can slide them through a yummy dip.

Have you tried corn on the cob? My ds decided he LOVED corn after getting to eat off the cob... I think sometimes it's just the presentation and if it seems fun that must mean it's yummy. Doesn't make sense to me :shrug , but then my opinion doesn't really count when it comes to eating veges ;)

Punkie
07-03-2005, 09:49 AM
I just posted some recipes for breads with hidden stuff in them on a similar thread in the Little Explorers forum. :)

Close2MyHeart
07-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Does he like Mac and Cheese?? I've been known to grind up som veggies and hide them in mac and cheese :) No one notices if they are ground up. :D

JJsMom
07-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Do you have a juicer? Have you tried a carrot/apple juice? If you use mostly carrots and then green apples, it's yummy! :yum I usually put lots of carrots in mine, but I get my two y.o. ds to drink some by laughing at his juice mustache! :giggle You might even try a carrot/apple juice popsicle. :shrug
How about a cream sauce? My ds likes to dip his "little trees" (brocolli-sometimes it helps to give them funny names!) in a really yummy white sauce I make. Oh yeah and how about a dip with peanut butter and apple juice? Then dip some carrots.
HTH!

AKCristyMJ
07-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Thankyou!!!
Exceeeeelent suggestions!!

RealLifeMama
07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
In Parents magazine (I get it for free every month) there is always some little "fun food" column that has the veggies cut up or arranged into something really fun.
This month, they took a plain ice cream wafer cone, and topped it with a scoop of chicken salad (or maybe it was tuna?) , and then used the veggies for eyes, nose, and mouth and even a mustache sort of thing. Sometimes they arrange them like a flower or rocket or something.
My DD really likes Ants on a Log (celery with PB and raisens.) Not that celery is bursting with vitamins or minerals, but it is high fiber!

AKCristyMJ
07-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Oh those tricks work well on my 18mos old....and even on dh! :laughtears But Lidia just kinda looks at her plate, then up at me and gives me that 5 going on 25 voice, "Mom....those are still veggies!" :O

Honestly I think if I blindfolded the kid she'd eat veggies just fine.
But recently she has gotten good at tasting them out when I mix/puree/add them to foods.
:hissyfit