PDA

View Full Version : Need help. How much should I charge for this monogram?

cklewis
07-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Now that I think about it, maybe this is a WOHM question. :doh I dunno. . . .

Anyway, a flakey rich lady from church asked me to embroider her future DIL's initials on a pretty hanky. I just spent all morning designing the monogram. :rolleyes It always takes too long. But anyway, here are some options:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/cklewis/All.jpg

My questions:

Which do you like best for a wedding hanky in all white with silk thread? It should be about 2inches tall.
How much should I charge?

:ty

C

MarynMunchkins
07-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I like #1 and #3. :) And I'd charge about $30. :)

Punkie
07-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I like #1 and #3. :) And I'd charge about $30. :)

Ditto. I think I like #1 just a little bit more.

cklewis
07-02-2005, 09:16 AM
DH likes #1 too. I think 'cause it's more interesting.

$30, eh? SIgh. . . . Hope she'll fall for it. I think I'm the only person she knows who can do this. I dunno.

C

Teribear
07-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Are you hand stitching this or is it by machine? If it's by machine the rule of thumb is to go by x/thousand stitches. The rate around here for single piece items is $1.00/1000 stitches.

I don't think that $30 is unreasonable, especially since you had to do all the generation of the design and so on yourself and frankly if you're HAND stitching the thing I'd charge more, not less.

cklewis
07-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Oh no, it's hand. I don't have those fancy (but oh so cool!) machines that I drool over frequently. Just me and my needle. And Big Brother 6. :grin

Okay, okay. . . . I just need to keep you all cheering me on. A laborer is worthy of her hire.

C

Punkie
07-02-2005, 09:26 AM
That seems low to me for hand stitching!

Wonder Woman
07-02-2005, 09:26 AM
:nak
$30 is cheap to handstitch that! What stitches will you use?

Teribear
07-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Camille, I wouldn't handstitch that for a dime less than $50.

I have one of those fancy 6 needle Brother PR600's and I wouldn't do it on that for less than $30 and it'd take all of 6 minutes.

You're talking HOURS of handstitching. You were exactly right in that a laborer is worthy of her hire. Particularly one that is taking time out from teaching college and raising her son to hand stitch a family heirloom.

cklewis
07-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Little satin stitches mostly. If I did the flower one, I would use bullion roses which are SO MUCH FUN TO DO!

But this lady's flakey. At one point she told me, "I want it real plain."

If you want it plain, go get a machine to do it. It'll cost you about $5. If I'm going to do this, I'm going to enjoy it. :P

Whatever. I want to have my ducks in a row so when I e-mail her the pics and $, she can understand. She is NOT that savvy.

I dunno. . . .

C

Wonder Woman
07-02-2005, 09:35 AM
still :nak
plain? :hissyfit

Then I'd offer #1 for $50 and #4 for $40 :shrug

I love to do bullion roses. They are a chance to use one of a hundred specialty needles I own :O :lol

JavaMama
07-02-2005, 09:54 PM
oooh, those are gorgeous! I love #1, #2 and #4... my fave is #1 I think (but I love all three).

Definitely charge her a fair wage. Truly, skills such as hand made items are just not as appreciated as they should be!

MarynMunchkins
07-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Oh, you're stitching by hand? :wow $45, in that case. :)

It's gorgeous! :D

cannuke
07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Yup, #1 and AT LEAST $50 if you're doing it by hand. Keep us updated!

tiglet
07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Another person who likes #1 best.

They're beautiful!!!

You're hand-stitching this?!?!

No way for less than $50. It's a work of art - a thing of beauty, and something that takes serious hours to complete, and should be valued as such. :)

Oliveshoots
07-13-2005, 11:21 AM
#1 is my fave, especially in white, and for a wedding. To me, it is elegant an timeless. And I think the shape of it would fit great into the corner OR center of a hanky (can't remember where you were putting it.)

I would say if you are doing it by hand, shoot, $100 bucks??? I would pay that much for my dil...it will be an heirloom! I don't know if G'ville is like Asheville, but around here, I really think something like that (handmade) would go for AT LEAST $100. And since she is rich..... :shrug :grin

Even though she suggested "simple", I think after she sees your design she'll change her mind. And after you tell her it will be done by hand, she's crazy not to pay at least $50 to $100!

Can you show us pictures when you're done?? It amazes me that you could do that by hand.

cklewis
07-13-2005, 11:38 AM
:O You're sweet. Sure -- I'll do pics! :highfive

I just have to wait for the silk thread to come in.

C

Meli
07-13-2005, 10:00 PM
#1, definitely. And $50+ definitely for handstitching.

bostonsmama
07-14-2005, 02:50 PM
oh my, those are gorgeous! i like all of them! #1 is great and i would say $50 sounds good. you *might* want to let her know to be sure she'll still buy it though, you dont want to have a random initial'd hanky laying around! i cant wait to see the pics!

cklewis
07-30-2005, 07:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/cklewis/P1010001.jpg

There. I'm done. I officially hate it. I have such a huge bad attitude about this, I'm just warning you all. I will never, ever make something for money. My house is a wreck, I couldn't play with my favorite boy all day, and I'm not that pleased with the results.

:banghead Remind me to NEVER, EVER do this again.

And silk floss is the worst! Or my hands are the worst. it kept catching on MY SKIN and coming out the needle. And I had to rip out stitches that looked dumb. I AM SO CRANKY!

There. [/vent]

C

bostonsmama
07-30-2005, 08:22 PM
oh, its beautiful! :heart you did an amazing job! i cant imagine all of that work!

Wonder Woman
07-30-2005, 08:24 PM
gorgeous!
did you do the drawn and pulled thread edging, too?

JavaMama
07-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Aw hugs! :hug I know what you mean... when I try to knit a gift in a short time span my kids squabble, they climb all over me etc etc. My dh took a pic of me kniting the other day with ds climbing on my head and shoulders. :doh

Personally, I think it's gorgeous and I hope she'll love it.

PS- when your kids are older, it will be easier and more enjoyable to do things like this, I think. I hope!