PDA

View Full Version : GF/CF free diet

Titus2:5Catholic
06-30-2005, 02:25 PM
What is it? How do you do it? What could you possibly eat?

Irene
06-30-2005, 02:57 PM
um well we arent vegetarian :shifty but we are casien free, gluten free, mostly soy free (dh and dd will still have soy sauce on their rice and eat earth balance) and free of a whole bunch of other foods too.... and we still eat every single day :)

so I guess how we do it: um there are dairy replacements that we use sometimes, but I have gradually taken those out too, I still use vances dairy free at times if something needs to be creamy... or coconut milk I use too sometimes. I make gluten free baked goods, breads, muffins, cake, cookies etc.
DD can only have golden delic apples, bananas, pears, some green veggies, and some kinds of berries, so we eat a lot of apples and bananas ;) gf pasta, quinoa, and like I said Im not a veggie, so we get some protein that way (sorry).

are you thinking of this? is this for a special needs child? what else can we help you with?

ArmsOfLove
06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Oh my we eat tons of things :) We had pizza last night :yum Tonight we're having baked potatoes topped with a casserole I made with marinara sauce, eggplant, and mixed veggies of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash and zucchini. YUM!

Titus2:5Catholic
07-01-2005, 06:38 AM
are you thinking of this? is this for a special needs child? what else can we help you with?
Well, I've been reading on autism and in some things this is recommended (possible autism diagnosis for DD) and I've been reading on endometrosis and it is also recommended. I'm thinking it is possible it could help DD because she's had reactions to certain foods before (raisin bread, certain kinds of pizza and too much yogurt trigger what seems to be migraines).

We had pizza last night
How on earth could you eat pizza?

ArmsOfLove
07-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Gluten free pizza crust (recipe in The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread :tu) and we used goat cheese but we sometimes use Vegan Delights (it melts :) )

JJsMom
07-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Gluten free pizza crust (recipe in The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread :tu) and we used goat cheese but we sometimes use Vegan Delights (it melts :) )

But how does the Vegan Delights taste? I'm still searching for a good cheese replacement that melts and tastes okay! I am reluctant to try goat cheese because my ds is so sensitive to dairy. I actually don't miss cheese as much as I did before, but it would be great to have some pizza!

ArmsOfLove
07-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Vegan Delights is actually pretty good. I mean, it is a soy cheese :shrug But I like it better than any other soy cheese. They have flavors too--cheddar, monterey jack, mozzerella and nacho :tu

JJsMom
07-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Vegan Delights is actually pretty good. I mean, it is a soy cheese :shrug But I like it better than any other soy cheese. They have flavors too--cheddar, monterey jack, mozzerella and nacho :tu

I've been off dairy for a year so I don't think I'd remember what real cheese tastes like, it would probably fool me! :giggle

ArmsOfLove
07-01-2005, 11:50 AM
The only thing that gets me about it is the texture--it's rather tofu-y feeling. But when it's cooked or if it's in a sandwich or such you can't tell. And it tastes good :)

Irene
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
I still cant stand the stuff :shrug i hated the texture, I didnt think it tasted anything like cheese and I could not get it to melt... cant have it anyway because Im allergic to soy, but anyway, that was my experience.

I do have to say to the OP, I think its great that you are willing to try this! :tu for us it was so worth it!!! my dd improved tremendously on it :)

Moon
07-01-2005, 09:09 PM
We're gluten free too :grin We can eat everything you do I bet, we just make it ourselves with funky ingredients you've likely never heard of :mrgreen

Tonight we had stroganoff, quite yummy :tu I used purchased rice pasta elbows, and potato starch for a thickner for the sauce. We're not totally dairy free, I used regular sour cream and abit of melted cheese too.

The rest of our list that one or more kids are allergic to: cows milk, food coloring, corn, some artificial flavors, and shellfish.

abbiroads
08-15-2005, 01:43 PM
you can make pizza w/out cheese, all the toppings just fall off. I used to buy a dairy free, soy free cheese that wasnt to bad on pizza. I used just enough to hold the toppings on.

Irene
08-15-2005, 02:47 PM
but a lot of the regular toppings have dairy in them too, like sausage and pepperoni :shrug

abbiroads
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
bummer

Irene
08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
I just miss pizza :hissyfit

JJsMom
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
I made pizza with lots of veggies, like green peppers, onions, mushrooms, but you can't have tomatoes, so I'm not sure what you would do for sauce. :shrug Before I was df, I made a pizza with chicken and a cream cheese type sauce (maybe you could use tofutti?). I miss pizza too!

JJsMom
08-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Oops, sorry, I didn't realize this was in the veggie/vegan forum, maybe skip the chicken! :P~

abbiroads
08-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Yea, maybe something creamy with italian seasoning for sauce.