PDA

View Full Version : I saw a sis swatting 8 mo old bro - brings back memories

Dizzy Blond
06-28-2005, 02:16 PM
This last weekend, I was at DQ with the family and I was watching all the families there. I saw this one little guy - I guessed he was 8 months old - kind of throw something at his big sister. She was annoyed and just swatted at him. :bheart Fortunately, she missed.

And that took me back ... I was 11 and my younger brother was 3. I had a friend over and he would not leave us alone, even though I told him to several times. I then hit him as hard as I could, across his head. :bheart :bheart :cry I felt sick afterword and apologized up and down. I felt like I was the worst person in the world to do that to such a small person. I could never take it back.

But then again, I was just doing what I had learned: hitting gets you what you want.

So that's another reason (among the many) that I will never spank my dc.

ArmsOfLove
06-28-2005, 03:35 PM
:(

Wonder Woman
06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
:bheart

Heather Micaela
06-28-2005, 04:30 PM
:sad2
we are recent "converts" to GD. One of the reasons is my sons need to discipline his sister who is only two years younger. Even when the misbhavior is not directed at him :poke he still feel the need to yell "NO" or "spank" her :sad2. I used to say only mommy can spank. But that didn't work well becuse he would just tell me what "bad" thing she was doing. Often he was TRYING to be protecrtive.

It is so much EASIER to say "we don't hit in this family" I fuigure if I model gentle disciplin, if he still feels the need to discipline his sister (which I keep explaining is not his job- his job is to play with her) at least he will learn to do it in an apptopriate way.

Dizzy Blond
06-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi Heather,

That happened in our house, too. My older brother got out my dad's belt and smacked me with it ... with the buckle end ... OUCH!

You're smart to see this pattern now and finding a better way of disciplining. :tu