PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sling for a newborn?

Allison
06-26-2005, 12:17 PM
I have a regular sling with the hard plastic rings, no padding. Just simple and perfect for my guys when they were around five months and able to sit on my hip. I could never get it to work in a laying down position for a tiny baby, though. Snugli type carriers don't work for me because of my big old chest.
What is the best and easiest sling to use with a newborn. I will really, really need one this time around. This baby must be carried in a sling at a young age because I'm going to out and about much more this time and I already have two older kids to keep up with! LOL

IslandMama
06-26-2005, 12:55 PM
I usually use the ring sling, padded... It is adjustable so you can tighten it up for small babies, or loosen it for the bigger ones. It seemed to work well for all positions. The only thing is that it is very bulky, and now that I'm having my 5th, I'm thinking of using a pouch sling because it's very compact, and looks as if it works well in the cradle carry position for newborns. But I'm not sure how comfortable it will be once the baby gets bigger. It kinda one of those things (like shoes) that you won't know until you try it... It's all a matter of preference, I guess. I would definitely stay away form snugli type front carriers...HTH! :mrgreen

Lyn
06-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I prefer a micro fleece pouch. I have one that I can't use anymore because my son is too big. PM me if you're interested in buying it. It's homemade -- well, I used to have a sling business.

kris10s
06-26-2005, 05:13 PM
I loved my unpadded ring sling for newborns... I make them and give them to new moms and so I just helped a new mom get a 5 day old comfy in hers yesterday. :hearts

MarynMunchkins
06-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I like the unpadded ring sling too. :) Actually it was my only sling til Colin hit about 8 months old. :tu

Allison
06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I wonder what I'm doing wrong that my babies hate the sling, then? Any ideas? They just get all squished and seem to haaaaate being in the cradle position. :-(

BornFreeBaby
06-27-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't really have any advice.....The 6mo girl I watch loves the ring sling. Did you try the cradle position from when they were tiny babies?
Maybe they have to get used to it...It could just be their personality that they don't like it, but maybe try the cradle position w/ a more stretchy fabric? Just some ideas!

LoveToReadMommy
06-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Allison don't feel bad, I have a 6 week old, and I have a ring sling, and I can only do the tummy to tummy position, and I have to support his head with one hand. I'm on this forum because I'm seriously thinking about trying a pouch, because I'm needing to be able to bf him in it! I feel like he is sufficating when I try with the ring sling. I love it, but sometimes I need two hands!!! I wish I had someone irl to show me!

IslandMama
06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
I wish I had someone irl to show me!

Do you have a local La Leche League group? If you do, you probably could find someone there who knows how to use one, and I'm sure they would be happy to help... :tu

Lyn
06-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Aside from my firstborn, my kids have preferred the tummy to tummy position.

I just helped a mom at a meeting nurse her newborn in her unpadded ring sling. With tiny babies it helps to fold a cloth diaper or a receiving blanket and place it under their heads. I suggested she try nursing in the football hold and it worked really well for her. :mrgreen

Have you seen lots of wearing instructions online? Kangaroo Korner used to have the best (imo).

arwen
06-28-2005, 04:48 PM
I wonder what I'm doing wrong that my babies hate the sling, then? Any ideas? They just get all squished and seem to haaaaate being in the cradle position. :-(

it's not you....your baby just doesn't like to be carried like that :)
both of my children didn't like it all either....

we've tried the maya, otsbh, pouch...

of course i'll plug here for my asian carrier....but any asian carrier will do.

i loved my Cuddle 'n Carry when my son was really little...well, i still love it and so does he...he'll go get and bring it to me! (21 months)

just look around for all the different slings you can get...
like with my sling the baby is upright...not cradled on his/her side.

Allison
06-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks so much for all of the help you guys!

Arwen, I have a feeling when we find out the sex of this baby, I'm going to be buying a sling from you. I love that it goes over both shoulders, that your arms seem freer (both arms not just the one arm!) than in the ring sling and that the baby can easily lay against my chest. I see that helping with reflux if this one is to have that problem like my others did.
I'm pretty excited now! I think I can make it work with the cuddle and carry.

LoveToReadMommy
06-28-2005, 08:33 PM
I missed the LLL meeting last week, I'm having a REAL hard time getting out of the house with all 3 kids. Actually, I've only done it once. The meeting was early, I would have had to leave at 9:15. Not happening, ds is having issues and is a fussy baby, that's another thread. But I am going to try again next month to go.
I think that's why the sling things isn't going so hot either, because he isn't in a good enough mood often enough for me to experiment with positions. :(

ebethmom
06-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I never did master nursing in the sling when ds was a baby. It wasn't until I got the sling out to wash for newborn dd that he wanted to nurse in it! He was almost three then - it was a truly funny sight!

But to keep up with ds, I got dd started nursing in the sling early. She was a very easy baby, so my experience probably won't help you a bit. :hug2

My Over The Shoulder Baby Holder is still my favorite. Dd prefers to nurse with her head in the pouch side (not the ring side). And she likes for her feet to stick out on the ring side - NOT tucked into the sling! I always had to support her while she nursed. While she was nursing, I could do most everything one-handed. Then once she was asleep, I could use both hands again.

Kingskid
07-02-2005, 12:45 PM
I have an infantino and a ring sling. I tried the sling for the first few weeks, but he just grunted and cried. I think he was too smooshed or something. So I started using the Infantino front carrier and he would fall asleep right away. I know that doesn't help you, but it's history for my point. At about eight weeks I started back with the sling and he does just great with it - well, as long as we are moving when he's awake. Just like Elizabeth's child - Zachary prefers to nurse on the pouch side and have his feet hanging out. He also much prefers, when awake, to either be tummy to tummy (really high up) or lying down in the cradle position, but slung loosely so he's straightened out. Does that make sense? It sounds to me that some babies prefer to be bundled up and close - and some prefer to be loosely slung. You just need to play with it for awhile. Of course, you need to keep a watch on the material, since it's not tight. You cannot really be doing chores or bending over a lot.

I would :heart :heart :heart to have a Cuddle-n-Carry, but I have to wait until the funds free up. It;d be great to have both hands free! I'm too chicken to take both hands off for more than a minute. :)

LauraK
07-04-2005, 10:00 AM
I am not sure if others replied but my favorite sling for little ones is the wise woman sling. It has less fabric, but is adjustable so easy to get the baby snug in the cradle hold. http://www.wisewomansling.com/

AngelBee
07-04-2005, 10:44 AM
I am not sure if others replied but my favorite sling for little ones is the wise woman sling. It has less fabric, but is adjustable so easy to get the baby snug in the cradle hold. http://www.wisewomansling.com/

That is my favorite ring sling so far.

For newborns I really liked using pouches from www.kangarookorner.com and www.hotslings.com

Radosny Matka
07-05-2005, 06:29 PM
I love a pouch for the newborn stage. :heart

Meredith
07-06-2005, 11:29 AM
I wore DS in an Ultimate Baby Wrap all the time for his first 3-4 months. He liked being upright unless he was nursing or asleep.

arwen
07-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Arwen, I have a feeling when we find out the sex of this baby, I'm going to be buying a sling from you. I love that it goes over both shoulders, that your arms seem freer (both arms not just the one arm!) than in the ring sling and that the baby can easily lay against my chest. I see that helping with reflux if this one is to have that problem like my others did.
I'm pretty excited now! I think I can make it work with the cuddle and carry.

great! :highfive :grin
:popcorn <<<< waiting to hear if you are going to have a boy or girl

LoveToReadMommy
07-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I just got my Solarveil Pouch from Kangaroo Korner and I LOVE IT! :heart :heart :heartI wish I had this from the beginning, it's so much easier than the ring sling for a newbie! It's nice and cool, (humid summer here) and it's easy on and off, easy in and out! I'm definitely getting a fleece one for winter and probably gonna buy my sister one for her next baby.