PDA

View Full Version : A funny story for you all

Can Dance
06-25-2005, 09:50 PM
I thought it was only appropriate that I post this story in the UNPREPARED FOR PARENTING part.

I live in Colorado Springs, more specifically Manitou Springs. There is something here called THE INCLINE. Manitou is at the base of Pikes Peak, the highest mountain in Colorado. Back in the day, there was quite a few railroad stations that ran out of the base of the mountain here. well all but one failed. So on one side of the mountain is the remnants of the old train, called, appropriately, THE INCLINE. It doesn't look TOO bad from the bottom. but little did I know...

so DH and I had recently purchased a Kelty backpack for hiking with DD. I was quite proud of it, bc I found it in the newspaper,called on it first and was the first to arrive to claim it for a STEAL of a deal. but that is a sidebar. we were anxious to try our new bag and it was getting late(r) in the afternoon. I am not a big hiker, but I was informed that if I was to be a true MANITOUD (whatever that means) I have to hike it. So I get my water, borrow my friends fancy water pack, get my hiking pants, my sunscreen. remember hat for baby. DH was getting all impatient with a friend of ours, so we were off. we literally walk up my street to start this hike.

Its going along swimmingly at first. The dog is having fun running all over. we run into these crazy people carrying weights who are running up and down this thing to train. And then we realise that she does not have her paci and she is getting REALLY mad about the whole thing. so I take her out and put her on the breast. she did that for a while while I hiked up the somewhat steep stairs. Then I put her back, and she screamed more. so obviously that is NOT going to work. I take her out again. the incline is SO STEEP at points, that you literally can hardly see 7 feet above your head, the ties were so close. so there I was hauling her under my arm while trying to pull myself up with the other. all she wanted was ME, so she didn't particurlarly care how I was holding her. Then I realised that HER BUTT WAS POOPY. did I bring a diaper??? NOOOOOO. in my "preparation" to go, I literally FORGOT a clean diaper. WHAT WAS I THINKING??!!! now we were so far up and to venture back down would have been even crazier.
All I can think of for my lack of thought was that a)I was rushed and b) that for all of the other hikes I had taken in my life I had never had a baby to consider. In my unconcious I must have hearken back to my single days of preparation with no baby to pack for. DUH. when I leave the house, I ALWAYS take her stuff with me. Why it would not occur to me to bring stuff for a 3 hour hike? I have NO IDEA. its truly one of my VERY brain dead moments as a mother. well, and as a father too really!

So, I take off her diaper, it was like her 3rd poop of the day so I was thinking I should be in the clear for the next while. My friend had some dried out wipes in her water thingy, so I used those dosed with drinking water and put her pants back on her with no diaper.

And by the way, turning back would be MORE difficult as can you imagine trying to go down a bunch of uneven stairs with a baby on your back or in your arms? its very unbalanced, not to mention hard on the knees. there was no where to go but up.

Then it starts to get colder the higher we climb. it was baking at the bottom and now its cold. so now she just wants to be held close. and she is tired. so I am wrapping her up in her daddy's shirt trying to keep her warm. we FINALLY reach the top, and proceed the pathway down. she falls asleep in DH's arms. she was SO TIRED and I felt SO bad for my sheer idiocy.

That is my funny so UNPREPARED for parenting story. I had a c section and DH always likes to say that the doc's accidently left the manual inside of me when they took her out. I mean, they gotta be in there somewhere right? :shrug

Laugh with me, because really that is all you can do. I certainly learned my lesson. :laughtears
Candice

UltraMother
06-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Just wait till you forget the diaper bag again. Then you'll kick yourself and wonder, "Didn't I learn anything the first time this happened?" :rolleyes

TulipMama
06-26-2005, 06:12 AM
*LOL*

Oh, my. . . I hope you've printed this out for your daughter's baby book.

(Btw, Hubby and I met in Manitou Springs! And just a few years ago we spent several weeks further up the mountain in Florrisant. *grin* Gorgeous area of the country!)

MarynMunchkins
06-26-2005, 01:38 PM
:lol

I took the kids to see a movie last week and forgot to bring a diaper inside. I had them in the car, but I couldn't very well leave the older two to get the diaper. :shrug He managed to wait to pee until after the movie. ;)

ShowersofBlessings
06-26-2005, 07:34 PM
:lol

So I'm wondering did the diaper thing work out ok? Or did she have another poopy diaper? :eek :giggle

Can Dance
06-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Oh yeah I should add. we DID make it home diaperless. I think the second we walked in the door she peed, bc we were holding her the whole time I think we would have noticed if we had gotten peed on! I don't think I have ever seen HER so happy to see her house.
:)
Candice

Eowyn
06-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Just wait till you forget the diaper bag again. Then you'll kick yourself and wonder, "Didn't I learn anything the first time this happened?" :rolleyes

Amen. LOL I am forever grateful to my mother for keeping a stash of cloth dipes and pins at her house. Ian went home in naught but a pinned prefold 4 times that I can remember. LOL

Oh, and I have several friends who've been to Manitou Springs a few times. That's where The Summit is, isn't it?