PDA

View Full Version : so I'm making a sling now.. but..

made4more
06-25-2005, 12:04 PM
what TYPE of fabric? Just the plain'ol cotton stuff from walmart? and is that strong? on the maya wrap site, it just says something like hand loomed cotton.

I dont really know what that means, and if it's better, or if that is where I need to go, etc.

cannuke
06-25-2005, 12:12 PM
I've used a cotton twill (like what khaki pants are made of) because it's a bit stronger. According to Jan Andrea, you should use heavier types of fabrics for safety. She has a great website here (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/index.html).

Good luck!

MarynMunchkins
06-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I've used cotton and poly/cotton blends. :) A bottomweight fabric (like for skirts, etc.) will be a sturdier sling. Don't buy quilting type cotton - it's not heavy enough, and is designed to be pieced and stitched together for strength. :)

TheSweetLife
06-26-2005, 10:17 AM
I used the cotton sateen from Joann's fabrics. Its a little more expensive than the other cotton but it is so soft and its definately strong enough too.

Lyn
06-26-2005, 04:28 PM
I've always used calicos and perm. press muslins. They've been strong enough for my 35 pound toddlers!