PDA

View Full Version : Water softener and itchy scalp

Irene
06-25-2005, 11:28 AM
so I just had a thought....

I have been having an itchy scalp, as I wrote about it before... *nothing* has cured it and I still feel aweful. I have even been talking to my ND about it and last time he just said "hmm let me ponder it for awhile"...

I just had a thought that I wonder if my water softener has anything to do with it? its basically just salt I think.... just a thought.... I dont know what I would do if it was :eek

Lady TS
06-27-2005, 04:52 AM
I don't think it's so much the water softener as the shampoo I use. That and hormones. When I'm pg, the itchiness goes away. I think there is less oil to make it itch, kwim?

When I use my favorite shampoo and conditioner(Pantene) my head itches. It itches less when I use the conditioner less. I think the conditioner must clog my head pores or something. :giggle:shrug How's that for a description?

Wonder Woman
06-27-2005, 04:59 AM
yes...for those of us who are dermatologically challenged :giggle I've been told never to put conditioner on my scalp. It is bad stuff, no matter the conditioner I use.

Irene
06-27-2005, 09:09 AM
conditioner huh? geez how will I ever comb through my hair!!!! I stopped using all shampoos with laurel sulphates in them... have been using a tea trea shampoo from the hfs.... hmm well Im almost out of conditioner anyway I guess I just wont buy any more..

oh I just had a thought too, last year at the farmers market this lady sold shampoo bars and said you dont need conditioner because it doesnt strip the oils from your head... but same with this shampoo, but I still have a hard time with all the tangles!

Lady TS
06-27-2005, 09:12 AM
I have a tough time with tangles and getting my hair combed out if I don't use a conditioner. Hence, I'm still using conditioner and having an itchy head. I have been using it sparingly, though, and trying to only apply it to my hair at ear level and below.

I tried a bar shampoo. It really seemed to leave a residue on my hair, and it was a huge pain for me to try to comb my hair out. :/ It sure smelled nice, though!

I bet those bar shampoos are great for short-hair folks!

Wonder Woman
06-27-2005, 09:13 AM
i have to use conditioner on the ends (all 5 feet of it! :shifty :giggle )

I just don't put it on my scalp. And tea tree oil gives me the *exact* reaction you are describing.... :shrug

ShangriLewis
06-27-2005, 11:00 AM
My scalp breaks out really, really easy. It gets itchy and big yucky bumps on it. I've found that I have to have a water filter on my shower head and a couple of different good shampoos and conditioners around. I have hair almost down to my waist now. I only condition the end parts and try to stay away from the scalp. I wash my hair only 2 or 3 times a week now and I always rotate my shampoo/conditioners. I've been having good success wtih Jason Triple Treat, Ecco Bella Vanilla and anything from Alba. But, I really think it's the rotating.

And, if I know I'm going to wash my hair the next morning I put coconut oil on my hair and brush my hair and scalp really,really good with a boars brush.

I hardly ever get a rash or dry scalp anymore.

Irene
06-27-2005, 02:54 PM
really? tea trea oil does the opposite? hmm well this has been going on for more than a year now and I think Ive tried everything! I have not washed my hair for a week :eek and that didnt work. I now wash 3 times a week. and I have used aloe/witch hazel/lavender on it when its really burning up, and I have used olive oil with tea tree and lavender and again, it makes it feel better but only for a day.
I dont rotate my shampoo but I use a different kind every time I run out just trying something new....
arg