PDA

View Full Version : How hot for water?

Julia R
06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I just figured out how to adjust the water heater settings. I know you want to keep it at 120* or less when you have kids in the house. I am going to turn it up just long enough to wash the dipes. Anyone know how hot I should set it to? I know you can damage your waterheater and valves if you set it too high. This water heater goes up to 150*. Anyone know how long it takes the water to heat up to temp after it's adjusted?

Havilah
06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I think it's simpler, safer, and cheaper to pour a stockpot of boiling water in with the dipes. I've been doing this for several months and it works really well. I put the water on to boil when I start the cold soak cycle :)

Of course, my water heater is in the recesses of the basement, but my washer is practically in the kitchen. I'm sure that makes a difference!

Julia R
06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I have done this before too, but my water heater is in the garage, right next to the washer. The kitchen is a ways and there are always kids underfoot on the way there, even if I shoo them all out on my way in the kitchen to get the hot water. Plus, my stove takes forever to heat up a stockpot of water.

Havilah
06-24-2005, 06:11 PM
I understand. I know one of the MDC mamas cranks hers all the way up just before she starts the cold wash, then turns it back down after the hot wash. She seems happy with this plan. HTH!

MarynMunchkins
06-24-2005, 06:14 PM
It takes about an hour, according to the gas guy when he hooked up our gas. :)

Julia R
06-24-2005, 06:17 PM
That's what I want to do too. I just had DH show me how to adjust the temp. I was just wondering how long it takes and how hot is too hot. I got the 3rd degree from the army housing contractors (different house) when I had that gas water heater cranked all the way up, because it never worked right. He claimed that too hot of water would ruin the valves that regulate how much hot and how much cold comes out. I think they just wanted to avoid admitting that it was broken. This is my mom's house we're renting and a pretty new water heater, so I don't want to cause it trouble.