PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for milk

Can Dance
06-24-2005, 12:22 PM
I am aware that I am "suppose" to be giving DD milk since she turned 1. She has weaned herself :( so she is no longer getting mummy milk. so what is a good subsitute?
Candice

Katydid
06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
I know Dr. Sears gives a recipe for almond milk in his Baby Book. I am not vegetarian, and I haven't tried the recipe, but it looked pretty good... I just wanted to respond because nobody had yet :grin I hope you get more knowledable responses!

BeckaBlue
06-24-2005, 12:36 PM
rice dream makes an enriched milk w/ more nutrients and such. or jsut regular rice milk

you could also do soy if you want. also there's goats and almond, and more i'm sure!

Punkie
06-24-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm not a huge fan of soy milk, so we switched to almond. We bought a "milk" maker, so now we make our own almond, rice, or sometimes soy milk. Almond Breeze is really tasty though, if you're buying from a box :grin

Can Dance
06-24-2005, 12:40 PM
I am not a vegan or a vegitarian. but I don't keep milk around the house either. I am afraid that if she doesn't like it, it will just go bad. will those recommedations meet the same nutritional requirements that milk does? I heard something about brain development.
Candice

Punkie
06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
The brain development part has to do with fat. You can get way better fats from other foods :grin Milk is really quite unneccessary, and highly allergenic.

Although, I must admit that the milk that our milkman brings is quite good, and its hormone and antibiotic free... My husband drinks it.

Irene
06-24-2005, 03:51 PM
if you are concerned about fats you can use cod liver oil or flax seed oil, or any of those, as Amanda said - better than milk anyway :tu

Tex
06-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Milk is not required, fat and calories are. I'd say water is a good substitute for milk! :)

Soy, rice, and almond milk are always options too :D

Can Dance
06-24-2005, 04:24 PM
All she gets is water, until a few days ago, she was at least getting a little BM. how do I give flax oil though? I honestly have no idea what forms a lot of that stuff comes in. talk to me like I am stupid, bc about this stuff, I really am! :)
Candice

Tex
06-24-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure about flax seed oil.

I used grape seed oil with my own child and added it to soy milk (tablespoon or so and shake) and you could try it added in water (its fairly tasteless) or juice. You can also add the oils into your regular cooking, like a tablespoon or two into your dish depending on what you are making.

I was extra concerned about fats and protein because we are ovo free & mostly dairy free Vegetarians so that is why I did the soy/oil. I would imagine if you eat meat, eggs, and other dairy besides milk the protein/fat wouldn't be an issue.

Irene
06-24-2005, 06:03 PM
not stupid ;) there are a lot of ads and WIC and stuff all makes it seem like milk is the utmost important thing ever ;)

we use cod liver oil and I just add it to juice or anything else I can think of hiding it in ;) I started ds early because of his excema and he will even eat it straight :eek