PDA

View Full Version : carrying on your back

zak
06-24-2005, 06:42 AM
what age/development can you start? is it possible with a NoJo or a New Native?

kris10s
06-24-2005, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't try it with a Nojo myself. I have done it in my pouch after she started sitting on my hip, but she has to *want* to be there in a pouch, she could arch her back and :eek An unpadded ring sling is a little more secure, but the only way I felt really comfortable wearing her on my back so far is in a cuddle 'n carry or another mei tai.

DogwoodMama
06-24-2005, 06:56 AM
It's possible, but for a newbie, I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It depends on the baby & comfort of the mom for back carries about what age to start, but I would strongly recommend making a wrap or getting a mei tai or similar for extended time in back carries, for both of your comfort. :)

I'll put C on my back in a sling for just a few minutes if I need her back there... for longer periods, she goes in my Cuddle n Carry. :)

zak
06-24-2005, 06:58 AM
I really want a mei tai... so good excuse to get one now!!

Iarwain
06-24-2005, 09:16 AM
I have done a back carry with a newborn in an unpadded ring sling and also with a rebozo (and a Baby Trekker). But not until I was on baby number 4 or 5. By that time I was totally confident with it and could do it myself easily. With some help putting it on I was able to do it with a knit wrap pretty early on, too. Once they're in there it's pretty secure, it's just getting them on safely that can be tricky. www.rebozoway.org has some instructions for doing a back-carry with a tiny babe and you can use just a regular piece of fabric.