PDA

View Full Version : Hey could you do this?

bliss
06-23-2005, 01:45 PM
I am always having crazy ideas that never actually work when put into practice, and this is my latest one. . .I was looking online at knit pouches (babywearing), and patterns for making them, and I'm thinking, could I just find a sweater with the right dimensions and cut a tube out of the body section, overcast the edges for raveling, and use that? Let me know why this wouldn't work? (my ideas always have some fatal flaw I'm unaware of, usually until I share them with dh and he says, "well, that's great, except . . ." and I go " :doh")

CelticJourney
06-24-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm not quite following you, but if I understand what you are saying 1) you can't cut anything knit or it will immediately unravel and 2) I would be concerned about the yarn stretching too much with the additional weight.

Does that help or am I not invisioning this correctly.

bliss
06-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, that's why I was thinking about overcasting the edges - like you do for making bum sweaters. . .and with the yarn stretching, how do they keep other knit slings from stretching too much? Start really small? Still thinking this through . . .maybe I should just get a sweater for fifty cents somewhere secondhand and chop it up to see . . .

CelticJourney
06-24-2005, 03:24 PM
You've lost me. If you do one, post a photo so I can see. It sound interesting.

bostonsmama
06-26-2005, 04:23 PM
hmmm....good question, i would just buy a sweater like you said and give it a whirl! the only thing im thinking is if *maybe* they somehow knit some elastic into the pouches? i dont see how it would stay "unstretched" and keep up its hold? you could always reshrink it? but then you'd probably end up w/a barbie doll sized sling! :shrug

good luck, and please do post a pic...im not sure im understanding correctly either!

bliss
06-26-2005, 07:36 PM
ah, the enigma that is me. . .I had just seen a pattern online for crocheting a sling, and it basically ended up looking like a tube made out of a sweater, so I thot. . .why not skip the middleman and just make a tube out of a sweater? Will hit the secondhand stores tomorrow to see if I can find a good one. . .

JavaMama
06-27-2005, 05:51 AM
Like this: http://www.tickleturdle.com/ I could have sworn that I've seen a pattern for sale for these, but I can't remember where and my bookmarks are a mess since I had to wipe out my hard drive.

:tu

bliss
06-27-2005, 04:47 PM
X-actly. . .that is the one I saw. . .

JavaMama
06-27-2005, 05:50 PM
X-actly. . .that is the one I saw. . .

So you are thinking of taking an old wool sweater and sewing a pouch out of it, right? I think it would depend on how the sweater is knit and if it has seams maybe you could just split it there and make that the hem part. Obviously, I don't sew cause I don't know how to explain it.

It's worth a try! :p

Punkie
06-28-2005, 10:46 AM
I think that'd be super easy to knit. I just wonder what kind of stitch she uses to finish and join the two ends...

JavaMama
06-28-2005, 02:59 PM
It looks like stockinette stitch to me. You could knit it in the round and just do garter stitch for the rails and stockinette stitch for the body of the pouch. I know ss st seems awfully stretch though, at least top to bottom.

Punkie
06-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Well, she said that she knits it like a scarf and then sews it into a tube. You can tell based on the way her stripes/stitch go too... I just don't know if I trust any back stitches or anything similar to do the joining to hold my child...

JavaMama
06-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Well, she said that she knits it like a scarf and then sews it into a tube. You can tell based on the way her stripes/stitch go too... I just don't know if I trust any back stitches or anything similar to do the joining to hold my child...

Hmm... since I don't know much about sewing I'd personally feel better doing it in the round. I'd really like to try this out sometime but I'd need to figure out how much shaping is required and go from there. Actually, I could measure my Pea in Pod pouch to give me measurement ideas!

Punkie
06-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about doing it in the round too, just because I don't know if I'd trust it otherwise....

ellies mom
06-30-2005, 01:54 AM
I would also try knitting in cotton or another fiber that doesn't have a lot of stretch to help make up for the natural stretch of knitting.