PDA

View Full Version : We're hungry :( gf diet

JJsMom
06-22-2005, 12:02 PM
We have been gf for a week today and we are so HUNGRY! We are crabby too! Here's my list of gf (and dairy free) things I have:
Pancakes, waffles and scones
cereal
salmon patties
rice
soup
refried beans and salsa with chips
meat (ds doesn't really eat meat though)
Animal crackers
fruit and veggies

That's about it. :( I did buy some gf flours yesterday, but I don't have any recipes, (except cake!). Please help!

blessedMom
06-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Bette Hagman! She writes recipe books with only gluten-free recipes. She also deals with other sensitivities or allergies as well. I was able to find many of her books atr our library, and then I bought one book to have on hand all the time.

The Gluten-free Gourmet
More from the Gluten-free Gourmet

She even has a specific cookbook for breads.

Irene
06-22-2005, 02:42 PM
oh ((((((((((krissy)))))))))))) we are out of food right now too and we are making it on corn chips and cookies :( ugh... I so hear you, but I dont have any advice :hugheart so we can sit and be hungry together :(

JJsMom
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks BlessedMom, I didn't even think about going to the library! :doh My friend is sending me a gf cookbook! PTL! I think I can wait until then, but I might be able to go to the library one of these next couple days!
(((((((Irene))))))) We should get together and have a big bowl of corn chips and some salsa! :yum I did make some salmon patties and some gf pasta, it wasn't very good IMO, but my ds liked it! I am making rice pudding for dessert. :yum If you would like the recipe, I can give it to you, it is one of the best things I make, besides that yummy chocolate cake of yours! If anyone has some ideas, I would still appreciate them, I remember the first two weeks of being dairy free were really hard and I was hungry all the time, so maybe we only have a week of this left!

Irene
06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
yummy! I would love some salsa but Im allergic to tomatoes :( I would love a rice pudding recipe!!! I have been cleaning today trying to think of more food ideas for you but I think with me being stuck I cant think of any... what kind of gf pasta did you use? we use quinoa pasta and its good as long as its hot ;) if its slightly cool it seems to get a weird texture to it, it also has to be cooked just so too :)

what do you normally eat?

Irene
06-22-2005, 05:40 PM
oh, the other thing that helped me was to make a list of four week meal plans of "safe" meals so that way I dont have to think so hard ;) and then we eat leftovers for lunch a lot of the times. it helped me go through my recipe books and find all the stuff we could eat! have you looked at celiac.com? they have some good recipes, but a lot of them have dairy. some you can use replacements for, and others not...

ArmsOfLove
06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
I guess I'm not sure why you are so hungry--that's a lot of great food :tu

It may be that you are detoxing from the gluten and I know when we did I actually felt real hunger for the first time ever--and fullness too. :hug

Irene
06-22-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah, i agree- its more food than we have right now ;) fruits and veggies are always great :tu

I also agree with the hunger thing, I was very out of sorts when I first went gf, I actually ate what was on my plate and was done, but found myself having to readjust my body to different portions and eating times and stuff.... I forgot about that till Crystal mentioned it :)

JJsMom
06-23-2005, 06:56 AM
I was thinking about it last night and I think it's not so much lack of options, it's lack of that filler, we had bread with every meal and we ate so much of it! JJ ate a lot too, so I wouldn't worry so much about him not liking what I was making because he would eat bread. I think it's that sense of substance that I feel is missing. I also feel really tired and wonder if that is wonder if it's the lack of carbs. :shrug Oh yeah and I love to bake, so we ate a lot of breads and muffins and things. I guess I just need to change my way of thinking. Sorry if I sounded whiny. :blush

ArmsOfLove
06-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Not whiny at all :hug You're going through something intense on your body and your way of thinking right now.

What I realized aftef the fact was that what I thought was *full* was actually *bloated* :sa

And if you stay gf there are great bread recipes :D

Irene
06-23-2005, 02:32 PM
hmm well, we eat a lot of breads and muffins and cookies too... because I dont know what else to feed my kids! I bake almost every day :/

I have tons of recipes now... I have been collecting them over time. I know what you mean about bread, if nothing else, I can make dd a pb&j ;)

blessedMom
06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
rice noodles or cellaphane (mung bean) noodles are great with whatever you put on noodles - like spaghetti sauce or cheese (substitute?) even mixed with vegetables and soy sauce. I've found these noodles are great 'pasta' substitutes if you just pour boiling water over them then drain when they are soft. Of course good for stir-fry, too.