PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I don't know what's wrong!!

Mother of Sons
06-22-2005, 10:12 AM
There is something really wrong with my dog. She's not barking at all, she walks funny like she's drunk, he tail is droopy and she can barely hold her back end up.

We've been doing kennel training for a week or so now to try to get her housebroken. Usually she barks when she wants out of the kennel and when we open it she races out immediately. Today she hasn't barked all morning (we have to wait to let her out until the mail man shows up) We let her out and she had to be pulled out of the kennel. We carried her outside and she just stood there. She did drink alot of water but wouldn't touch her food. We carried her down the stairs and set her in the grass but she just kind of collapsed there. After a bit she walked a little ways and peed (not where she normally pees) and then layed down again. She won't play or anything and she looks sooo sad. She's not walking right at all. She drags her feet and walks a bit sideways. Hard to describe but it's not normal.

Does anyone have any ideas???

domesticzookeeper
06-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Is there any way she could have gotten to a toxin, antifreeze, anything?? It really sounds like a poison.

I'd call your vet a.s.a.p. ASPCA Poison Control is $50 for one call :eek, so unfortunately, not many people can go that route :banghead

Mother of Sons
06-22-2005, 10:20 AM
I can't think of how she could have. She's always in the kennel unless we are outside with her. There might be a little anti freeze on the ground from the other day when my husband refilled but wouldn't she have had symptoms before now? That was at least 3 days ago.

amstermarie
06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
how old is she, could it be a stroke? is it hot by her kennal?

Mother of Sons
06-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm going to call the vet in a bit although I can't take her there because I don't have a car. I feel so terrible. She hasn't had her shots because we don't have to 200 dollars for them. Last time we took her to the vet for a broken toe nail, they charged us 80 dollars to pluck it off. Anyways. I'm so worried about her and I wish I knew how to make her better :cry

She is about 2.5 I think. Our whole house is hot but we keep the kennel in the downstairs and the air conditioning has been on most of the night.

domesticzookeeper
06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
First off, :hug. These things happen.

Antifreeze poisoning would have shown up a lot sooner than 3 days. But here are the symptoms anyway:

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include a drunken appearance including staggering, lack of coordination, and apparent disorientation and vomiting. The animal may appear listless and depressed.

Even if that's not the toxin, I still think it sounds like poisoning :(

amstermarie
06-22-2005, 10:32 AM
i am glad you are calling the vet, i hope you find a way to get her there, :hug. i hope everything turns out to be ok...

Mother of Sons
06-22-2005, 11:14 AM
That totally matches her symptoms except she's not throwing up. Now she will only lay on her side and her front paw and leg on one side are stuck up in the air. She drinks more water though. She seems dehydrated. She's shivering alot too.

Mother of Sons
06-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Actually it seems she did throw up. I just looked in her kennel, it must have been last night :( She also has diahrrea.

domesticzookeeper
06-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Were you able to get in touch with the vet? Did they suggest anything?

:hug and :pray

Mother of Sons
06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
I did call. They said she is most likely dehydrated and that I should wet her down (already did) and make sure she has plenty of water and that I could bring her in to have her checked out. Right now I have her in front of the air conditioner wrapped in a towel. She is looking a little bit better. She was able to walk up 3 steps but she couldnt' get on the couch. She wont' drink anymore water so I have been dripping some on her nose so that she will lick it off. She did eat some bread and a little roast beef. I dipped some of the bits of bread in the water too. I guess it's wait and see. If she's not looking better by the time we have to leave for baseball, I'm going to take her to the vet.

ranade3
06-22-2005, 02:51 PM
:pray

Mother of Sons
06-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Well I have NO idea what happened! When my husband came home I had to rush out the door with the kids for baseball. I quicky told him that Lucy was sick, probably dehydrated, dont' put her in the kennel, don't turn off the air conditioning. I got home just now 5 hours later and she looks almost back to normal! Her tail is almost up, she is trotting around and going up and down stairs just fine! If I don't get her out of this room soon she's going to get sick again because it is roasting hot and she follows me everywhere. She even ate her dog food when I took her outside. I don't think she is 100 percent yet, but she looks sooo much better!! My husband must have taken really good care of her. He even made up a really nice bed for her. He's not a dog lover so that's really sweet of him. Thanks everybody!!

Mother of Sons
06-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Another update. I tried to go downstairs just after I posted my last post and she could only make it down 3 stairs. It's just tooo hot up here for her. I carried her downstairs and tried to give her water but she wouldn't take it. She went and laid down on the little bed my husband made. I think she'll be ok but I am going to have to figure out a way to keep her downstairs.

Irene
06-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Im glad shes feeling better! It must just be the heat and dehydration... poor thing! and very sweet of hubby! :)

musicmama
06-23-2005, 08:41 AM
How's she doing today?

Mother of Sons
06-23-2005, 08:42 AM
As long as I keep her downstairs she seems ok. She can get up on the couch now. Sleeping alot and I can tell she still feels a little sick. I wish she'd drink or eat more because she hasn't even had a sip all day.