PDA

View Full Version : Pasting text into photoshop from word?

MamaKanga
06-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Does anyone know if I can do this? When I try it has a white background and is poor quality. I tried finding an online tutorial but didn't have success.

DogwoodMama
06-22-2005, 08:25 AM
You can do it... click on the T for text option like you're going to type text into photoshop... then paste your text in, and you can edit it in photoshop from there. change font, color, size, etc. :) HTH!

MamaKanga
06-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Oh duh!!! That was so easy! Thanks for helping me again!

DogwoodMama
06-22-2005, 08:38 AM
No problem! :)

MamaKanga
06-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Elizabeth, another question for you if you don't mind! In photoshop, once I have pasted my picture in, can I crop it to trim a side? I know how to make the whole thing larger or smaller, but how can I crop a bit of the picture? When I use the crop tool it crops everything except the picture, and it won't let me inverse the selection to do the opposite. :doh

Also, when I have created a "frame" for a picture (a rectangle on a lower layer) is there a way to link the frame and pic, so that when I need to rearrange things they will stay together?

Thanks for your help! :smile

DogwoodMama
06-23-2005, 06:37 AM
Basically, I use the "rectangular marquee" to crop my pictures.... click on the picture layer to make sure it's active, draw a rectangle over the part of the picture you want to crop (it be larger than the picture, b/c you're only cropping that "layer" and the outside of the picture is considered transparent), and then go to Edit>cut and cut it... I use this a lot to cut paper for layering, etc. You can use the circle option (look at the top bar once you've selected the rectangle thing) to crop your pics into circles by putting the circle over your picture, going to select > inverse (can't remember what comes before select if anything), and then cutting everything around the circle. :)

TO link the picture and the frame, make sure you have the layers arranged so that the frame is directly on top of the picture... go to layer and click "merge down" and then it will make it one layer. :)

HTH!

Wonder Woman
06-23-2005, 06:50 AM
TO link the picture and the frame, make sure you have the layers arranged so that the frame is directly on top of the picture... go to layer and click "merge down" and then it will make it one layer.
Or, if you aren't sure if you want to permanently link the layers, you can pull down your layers dialog box, and click on the first layer to make it your active layer. Then, click in the box beside the second layer (not on the icon of the layer itself). That will put a little chain link there, and they will be linked to play with moving, cropping, etc. Then, if you want to rework, you can unlink and adjust each layer individually again.

In photoshop, once I have pasted my picture in, can I crop it to trim a side? I know how to make the whole thing larger or smaller, but how can I crop a bit of the picture? When I use the crop tool it crops everything except the picture, and it won't let me inverse the selection to do the opposite.

When you use the crop tool, do you set the size you want to crop to? You should be able to type your desired dimensions and pixels per inch, then click and drag with the tool. You can click on your middle dot in that selection box to move your selected area around. You should see a semi-transparent layer mask around everything else. Then right click and hit crop.

HTH!

MamaKanga
06-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Awesome! Thanks ladies!!!

DogwoodMama
06-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Rebecca, you know the "right" way & I know the "quick & dirty" way I think. :)

Wonder Woman
06-23-2005, 07:23 AM
hee-hee...quick and dirty is good :laughtears

The little I know about PSE comes from online tutorials and a book I got, read, and lost :O

Also, you are running PSE3 (lucky woman) and I'm on PSE2, so I'm sure there are differences there. I found a mag with some cool PSE stuff in it, and it came with a 30 day free trial of PSE3. But I refuse to try it, because I know I'll want to buy it and don't have the $$$ :hissyfit

:peace

ETA: I didn't know that about pasting in text from Word...that's why I peeked at this thread. Awesome tip! :tu

MamaKanga
06-23-2005, 08:37 AM
I have the regular photoshop, not elements, and sometimes things are different. I spent 1/2 hr trying to do something I found in a magazine only to discover that!

Wonder Woman
06-23-2005, 09:11 AM
this (http://www.escrappers.com/photoshopatoz.html) page has some awesome PS tutorials, written for PS. But they give PSE tutorials, too. I love it!

DogwoodMama
06-23-2005, 10:48 AM
I love escrappers as well! ::) I wish I had photoshop cs... I'm jealous. :( ;)

MamaKanga
06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Or, if you aren't sure if you want to permanently link the layers, you can pull down your layers dialog box, and click on the first layer to make it your active layer. Then, click in the box beside the second layer (not on the icon of the layer itself). That will put a little chain link there, and they will be linked to play with moving, cropping, etc. Then, if you want to rework, you can unlink and adjust each layer individually again.

OK, this tip has made my life 100% easier, lol! Well, at least my scrapping life! :P

Wonder Woman
06-24-2005, 04:24 AM
glad it worked for you! :)